cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV box in wall or ceiling

Hi there,

I am upgrading my bathroom very soon and I would like to put in a waterproof TV.  These are fairly new and (as far as I know) they don't make smart ones yet.  So, if I want NowTV on my bathroom TV (and I really, really do) I will have to have either a Roku 3 or a NowTV box.

The main problem that it is a bathroom where steam will exist.  Therefore, all devices need to be waterproof or in the wall/ceiling. Neither box is waterproof so they have to go in the wall/ceiling.  The issue here is that the usual infrared remote obviously won't work.

Has anyone successfully set up either box in a manner where there is no line of sight?  Probably not in a bathroom as this doesn't seem to be mainstream yet but maybe someone (like me) prefers things to be hidden behind walls and has managed to set this up with a Roku?

Apparently there is a mobile app that can control the box?  

I can't get any answer whatsoever from the NowTV team about whether this app would work with the NowTV box.

And, I can't get any answer from Roku about whether or not they are discontinuing their devices in the UK.

I'm faced with a choice between buying a box that I can't control or a box that may become unfunctional over time that I can never replace. Or, ditching the idea completely and just having Freeview (meh).

So, I come to this forum in my hour of need. Has anyone setup either box in a non-line-of-sight manner?

Any help would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the roku 3 and the remote doesn't use infra red so that should do the job, you could use the tvplayer app for freeview channels as well so no need for an aeriel.  I have my roku behind the tv just tested it for you by going into the kitchen and pressing home button, came back through and it had picked up the button press so you should have no issues you can also get Netflix and Amazon on there as well

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the roku 3 and the remote doesn't use infra red so that should do the job, you could use the tvplayer app for freeview channels as well so no need for an aeriel.  I have my roku behind the tv just tested it for you by going into the kitchen and pressing home button, came back through and it had picked up the button press so you should have no issues you can also get Netflix and Amazon on there as well

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi GaryL,

That is great news.  Looks like it will be the Roku 3.  Have you had any issues with this device?  I've read it is quite old and that the Roku 4 will not be coming to the UK.

Kind regards,

Jean

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

A quick question, does the waterproof TV that you are looking to buy come with a HDMI port for connecting external devices ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Hey Guys

I'm probably way, way out of date but is it possible to have a waterproof  TV, especially in a steamy environment?

And as Schnapps hinted at, how can you have waterproof electrical ports, such as HDMI, USB, Scart, etc., such ports work by their electrical connection with other external electrical equipment and steam getting into those port will act as a disrupting factor.

As for walling up electrical equipment, a little known fact is that most, if not all, such  equipment need air to keep them cool (room temp.) and operating correctly by not over heating.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI ukbobby,

I'm no expert but ProofVision have been doing them for sometime.  I haven't read a review about the ProofVision brand where there was an issue with leakages or overheating but I can't rule it out.

https://www.proofvision.co.uk/waterproof-tv/bathroom-tv.html

Kind regards,

Jean

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Just had a quick look at the link and Wow you can have 55 inch TV in the Bathroom (now that's what i call living in it up, i always enjoyed relaxing by reading in the Bathroom, but i must say those TV's are something else) Smiley Very Happy

With the HDMI connectivity on board, then in theory the Roku 3 would be the way to go with an extended HDMI cable and locating the Roku Box away from the water or moisture (ie somewhere outside the Bathroom where the Roku box will have a WiFI signal).

No need to worry about infra red, due to the Roku 3 box works over WiFi, however what i would be inclined to do is use a waterproof mobile phone and use the Roku remote controller app on the phone which again works over WiFi.

Also, i wouldn't be to concerned with the Roku not being supported in the future with the NowTV app due to the tie up with both companies. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

They are lush :).  I can only fit in a 24" and I have this vision of relaxing in the bath after a hard workout watching Game of Thrones :).  The plan is that the box will go in the loft which is directly above the bathroom.  I still have to verify that a signal will make it but I'm hoping it will be OK.  You have added to the voices that recommend the Roke 3 so that is excellent.  It seems unanimous which is great.  Thanks again for your help.  You have all been fantastic.

Kind regards,

Jean

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Do you own a smart phone that is ideally waterproof, then if so use the Roku remote App on the phone which works over WiFi would be the way to go rather than using the non water resistant Roku remote.

Hope you enjoy the TV experience whilst relaxing in the bath (i have always been a bath person, showers were never my thing) Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, when you get everything all setup and working, post back here and let everybody know how you got on or if you encountered any issues.

Enjoy Game of Thrones (i am assuming your TV is going to be installed quickly to catch up on GOT Season 7) Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Excellent point about the remote.  I hadn't got that far in my head yet.  I have a waterproof phone case and will be putting a mount in the bathroom so that should work better than the Roku remote.  I will definitely come back and update with the progress.  The installation isn't happening until the 4th September but I'll update as soon as I have news.

Thanks again everyone 🙂

Kind regards,

Jean