cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Black Box Restarts several times during an episode

We never encountered any issues before but our NOWTV keeps restarting during a TV episode, and the quality of the video goes quite low even though when we look at our connection it says it's got "excellent" strength and all our software is up to date. Help?

15 REPLIES 15
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Kerri

As far as I am concerned, the Now TV boxes are not out of date yet simply because they are also capable of delivering 1080p video, which goes for the Roku 3 boxes as well because that's the device the Now TV boxes are cloned from.

Therefore, you should not have to buy any new devices because of a botched update, which BTW has also happened before.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers bob,  that's good to know.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Bob I think

"If your assumption is true, i.e. Now TV have upgraded their standard resolution from 720p to 1080p, which in turn is causing black box users to now get an unacceptable 240p, then it's obvious that Sky/Now TV does not have the capacity to sustain 1080p viewing for everyone capable of receiving it."

This seems most logical at present.

Today I tried the press home x 5, ff x 3, and rr x 2. To access one of the hidden options. I then forced the update again, and then for good measures on my secound box repeated and performed another factor reset. I will update following some use to confirm this makes a difference.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sorry to say reading more posts on this forum it seems this problem has been reported back as far as 2016 and we are simply lucky it has not affected us before.

All previous reports of this issue nowtv have insinuated that it's not a fault there side.

Your be recemended to reboot router, perform a bandwidth test, apply all updates, reset device then apply updates again. Following this they shrug shoulders and say the problem must be your side.

Other posts are suggesting the issue seems to be present mostly with the black roku, replace the device with something such as phone and chromecast and the issue is not present.

From a research point I don't see changing the device as a clinical test, reason for this stoping a steam and starting another with a different device, could remediate due to the restart gives both sides opertuinty to renogiate optimum settings.

I think this could be remdidated by nowtv applying a new update designed at the black roku boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The trigger to reset the resolution must be set to some form of bandwidth calculation, possibly widen the time provisioned before resolution is reset as while bandwidth can fluctuate it is unlikely that any defined window will mirror correctly.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi guys

Anyone know how NOW TV can say we have an internet speed of less than 2.5 mbp but my service provider, Virgin media says I have 108 mbp. Such a huge disparity?