cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now to box on standby?

Can I put my now to box in standby mode? There is no power button on the remote and no on/off button on the side. So it's either leave it running all the time or turn it off at the power point all the time. What does everyone else do?
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Firstly the standby power is not that low. It should be:

Power consumption in stand by mode which allows reactivation must be 0.5 Watts or less;

EU standards

well WOL is not unusual, so if you want to by another network device that is standard to do that from very low power states, here the CPU has not entered a low power state (This is actually a System on a Chip design, but let's not nit-pick).

So you can acheive that Plex design from a low power state.

Moreover that only makes sense if you are using a Plex controller to start a video. Given that you can only run Plex Classic some, of the new apps (eg the player for Win 10) do not play nice with remote controlling the Plex player on the NowTV.

You will not loose your settings, devices have non volatile memory for that...

ukbobboy
Legend

Well icstm

I'm not going to argue the point other than to say my Now TV box works, it is straight forward and above all easy to use.

And since I am an advocate of the K.I.S.S principle, i.e. Keep It Simple Stupid, I do not want extra facilities added that may cause extra complications for little or no benefit.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Firstly the standby power is not that low. It should be:

Power consumption in stand by mode which allows reactivation must be 0.5 Watts or less; EU standards

The neon indicator light on old 20A water heater and 45A cooker switches consume more than 0.5 watts Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There's a very simple reason for wanting the HDMI to switch off when moving to lower power mode:

It allows the display to detect there's no input and turn itself off automagically.

Less mess, less fuss, fewer buttons to push.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv does not go into standbys it just freezes after a period off inactivity. People say press anybutton to wake up. This does not work on mine so the only way to get the controls to work is unplug it and plug back in. Power button is very much needed
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi L

It seems that your box has developed an electrical fault and, as it has no replaceable or repairable parts, you are basically only left with two practical options.

But first, you could try pressing the reset button on the box, for 15 - 30 seconds, but if the fault is electrical you have the following choices.

1) If your box is less than a year old, and still within the guarantee period, then change it.

2) If your box is outside of the guarantee period, as it is so cheap, then buy a new one.

you might want to try pressing the reset button on the box, for 15 - 30 seconds, but if the fault is electrical.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks I'll try that
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The only way to save lecci is to turn off the switch at source no power no data usage full stop hope this helps
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
The only way to save lecci is to turn off the switch at source no power no data usage full stop hope this helps

hi all

you're correct but if you're going to turn off your box completely. I would advise you do a manual check for software/firmware updates once a month, otherwise you may find you have trouble accessing the NowTV service because the software/firmware on your now TV box is out of date. The box would normally be conducting updates automatically in the background, but it won't have the opportunity to do this if you're turning it off

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I find that once my Now TV has been 'woken up' it overrides my TV input so I cannot get back to my Smart TV 'Home' page....unless....I pull out the mains and manually shut it down. In this day and age of Global Warming, this is a pretty basic design fault.... they should be able to make the box be able to be put into 'sleep' mode from the remote....SAVE THE PLANET!!!