cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now to box on standby?

Can I put my now to box in standby mode? There is no power button on the remote and no on/off button on the side. So it's either leave it running all the time or turn it off at the power point all the time. What does everyone else do?
20 REPLIES 20
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  If you leave it long enough, the box will put itself into a standby or low-power mode.  The light on the front of the box will go off when this happens.  Then just press any button on the remote to wake it up again.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

ukbobboy
Legend

Tina15

I agree with DarylM, I have owned a Now TV box for over a year now and it does put itself into "standby" mode after about 10 or so minutes of inactivity, i.e. not receiving an Internet (or Plex) wi-fi signal to play audio-visual media on your TV.

So there is no need for a special button.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

What is the power usage in Standby?

My box shows a screensaver and does not go into standby.

I have a timeout for the screensaver, but no standby settings.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

so why don,t we have on and off button who,s daft idea was that. I want to turn it off my self, not wait 10 mins for it to go into standby thats a daft idea.

on button

and

off button --- why do people have to keep making everything overly difficult. If there is nothing wrong with it, don,t try to fix it.

Everyone agrees in the house hold its silly not to have an on and off button. Thats needs to be put right.

Also i never leave everything in standby mode, i fully turn it all off to same on electricity bill. No point in spending were you don,t have to.

standby is daft, i like the old ways if you are not using it, switch it off and unplug it. It makes better sense and my bill is not going up again makes sense, not using eletric again makes sense.

Im not moaning at anyone no no, im just making a valid point. Like tvs with over 100 channels again just stupid.

i never leave my router switeched on all the time, and i never had a problem. You would be surprised a saving you make turning everything off at the switch and unpluging.

So for me an on and off button does not make any sense what so ever, unless roku/nowtv were cutting corners and cost cutting to make remote as cheap as possible, but again it would not make that much of a saving to not incluce it on the remote or intergrate 1 to do 2 funtions.

pretty silly really, when  you consider nowtv is sky and yet a sky remote has tons of buttons and i never used them and that has an on and off button. So why has sky not included it on the nowtv remote.

you know you never seem to get straight answer anymore, everything overly complicated and for me that makes walk away. So are you saying after i finsih watching i just leave it on what the home screen a current menu i may be in. Thats is just stupid, sorry no offence to anyone but it really is daft.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bit confused with this. With no standby or power button, how does the box know when to go into standby ?

If I switch my TV from Now TV to, say, DVD, is the Now box still using up bandwidth/data in the background  and just not displaying it on TV ? 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Bit confused with this. With no standby or power button, how does the box know when to go into standby ?

If I switch my TV from Now TV to, say, DVD, is the Now box still using up bandwidth/data in the background  and just not displaying it on TV ? 

Hi @Anonymous User

when the box is not streaming/doing anything, it will automatically go into standby/low-power mode. By default the box will go into standby mode. After 10 minutes of inactivity.

If you're concerned about data usage always make sure that you exit streams and go back to the home screen properly. The only data the box should use is when it's in standby mode is the data used when it checks for or receive an update. It only checks for updates once a day, so I wouldn't be too worried about this, as updates aren't released to often.

If you like your streaming services. I would recommend you investigate an Internet package with unlimited data. These are not that difficult or expensive to get these days to get them have a look on the websites of ISPs and look for a package which specifically says 'unlimited'.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, very helpful.  

We have Infinity Unlimited so not really concerned about data usage, more about WIFI performance in the house if the Now TV box continues to (needlessly) stream programs in the background. Will just switch to Home screen on exit to stop streaming.

cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

when the box is not streaming/doing anything, it will automatically go into standby/low-power mode. By default the box will go into standby mode. After 10 minutes of inactivity.

It cannot be that low power the HDMI is still outputting, the processor is still driving a moving screensaver image, etc.

At the very least HDMI and the ethernet/wifi should switch off when in lower power.

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi icstm

You said "At the very least HDMI and the ethernet/wifi should switch off when in lower power."

You know, I really don't understand why you would want this, because the way the machine is now means it can be woken up by a wi-fi Internet or Plex signal with the minimum of fuss, your way would introduce an unnecessary delay.

Also, if the box lost power for an extended period of time it is possible it could loose all it's settings and that is something I would soon get sick of, i.e. resetting the box every time it was switched off overnight.

Plus, the "standby" power usage is so low that, in the scheme of things, it make no overall difference but if you are worried about electricity usage then you can always unplug the device when it's not in use.

UK Bob