cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV freezing

After reseting and reconnecting to Internet my now TV box prompts a software update. Which it does successfully 100%. Then the screen freezes and can not do anything at all except reset. . Ggrrrrr helpppp
403 REPLIES 403
Anonymous User
Not applicable

since now tv changed the software on the black box it keeps freezing and i have to unplug it and restart the box, never had a problem before this update.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh wow, thankyou, you just made my day haha 😛

I have tried reporting this to NowTV for weeks and nobody seems to beleive me! Maybe now that somebody else is reporting it too they might listen!

I have two boxes and after much effort and investigation i discovered they will freeze every time my I.P. address changes, which is assigned by my ISP. for example after the ISP does maintenace or optimazations on the network or if you unplug the router. This also started happening to me immediatly (on the exact day) after my boxes got the new software update.

Out of interest who is your ISP and are you on fibre connection or a standard telephone line?

Thread regarding this:

Link

Anonymous User
Not applicable

my isp is virgin media and my broadband works ok. i have other devices which run ok on it.

tested these devices

fire stick is ok

android box is ok

satellite reciever works ok

the now tv box with the new menu layout  was the last update and since they did this my box is screwed up freezes constantly and i have to reboot it.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

my isp is virgin media and my broadband works ok. i have other devices which run ok on it.

Don't panic,

How is your NOW TV playback device connected to the internet. Is it via a wired or wireless (WiFi) ethernet connection?

Have your tried performing a Hard / factory reset on the NOW TV Box?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

at moment its connected wireless, but ive had it connected through lan cable aswell just to rule out connection problems.

yes i have done hard factory reset too no change there....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User When it freezes, is it on the new homepage that it does it? DOes the clock at the top right stop ticking too? The box will accept the remote but does absolutly nothing (boxes light flashes but nothing happens).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

when it freezes, you can hear the clicking noise on the remote but nothing onscreen is working its just frozen and you cannot do anything to it, but reboot it...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User It does sound like you have come across the same bug i have reported, if so there is nothing to we can do to fix it, it is a problem with the software (thus why it only started after the update).

It could still be something else though but as ive been looking exensivley into the root of my crashes as mentioned above i wonder if you could try something when you have time. Basically leave you box switched on, sat on the homescreen (all apps closed) and switch off your router for 15 mins. Where the clock is on the homescreen it will show 'not connected' insated. After the 15 mins, switch the router back on, let it start up fully. The homescreen clock will come back and the 'not connected' message will go away. Let the box stand for a couple of mins after this, then see if it has crashed.

May seem an odd request but as said ive been tracking this down since the update so if you have come across the same bug as i have your box will likely crash after you do that, which is being caused when your ISP assigns you a new I.P. address.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My box does the same thing since their update: on startup, i.e. switch box on via power point it loads up and freezes on grey screen. Only way I can get it to load properly is on frozen grey screen is to press nowtv button then home button.

It's quite annoying and I'm sure its no coincidence its happening since their update.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Just wondering if when you turn you box off by the mains do you also at any point unplug your router? I know some people tend to switch off things over night or when not in use. I am just trying to gather info onto this problem which i reported weeks ago and see if they match my own findings. Hopefully if we can gather enough info on this bug they might actually start to pay attention to it.

I have been able to reproduce what you describe if i unplug the box then the router. Switching the router back on then plugging the box back in after a short while results in the grey empty/blank screen and appears to happen becuase the I.P assigned by your ISP has changed since the box was last used, when the router was restarted and the box doesnt like it.

I can also reproduce this by simply turning the router off while the box is sat on the new homescreen, leaving it off for a short while and then switching it back on. The box will then just freeze compleltly and you have to unplug it. When you plug the box back in you again get the grey blank screen.

The i.p. can change even without unplugging your router which when it does 9/10 times crashes the box too. (for example if your ISP does maintence or there is an outage) and so far i have never had the grey screen or box crash in either scenario as long as the I.P. has not changed.