cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV freezing

After reseting and reconnecting to Internet my now TV box prompts a software update. Which it does successfully 100%. Then the screen freezes and can not do anything at all except reset. . Ggrrrrr helpppp
403 REPLIES 403
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboySadly no i dont think so. I beleive the apps must be installed through the interface to have them recognised and show up on the homescreen. My guess is that some info for the install is still saved on the box (like configuration of some sort) so you cant simply just put them on the card yourself.

Yep, Plex wins for me too and can play anything i could ever put on a USB stick/hard disk anyway so if you can use Plex its defiantly the better of the two. My laptop is full of shows,movies and music which is always switched on so is basically my Plex server and eliminates the need for USB app.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Yes Raevelyn, I totally agree with your Plex paragraph.

I use a NAS as my Plex server to hold and deliver all my media to my TV and TV sound system, right now I can't imagine life without my NAS computer and Now TV box, the two have completely changed my viewing and listening habits.

For example, I don't buy CDs anymore I download my digital music from Amazon, i.e.  once my selection is purchased I can perform a download almost immediately and have my music on my NAS within 5 - 10 minutes. 

No, there is no going back to physical media.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sufficed to say...

If people want a Roku device with an active USB port and an active SD card slot, they should stump up the cash buy a Roku branded box, not a 'highly subsidised' NOW TV box 😉

Cheers

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital

Well SMD,

You said, "If people want ...... an active USB port and an active SD card slot, they should stump up the cash buy a Roku branded box....".  Point taken, but you must admit that Now TVs advertising is not clear that the USB and MicroSD ports are for decoration only.  

Anyway, this thread way never about making use of the "ports on the black box", that was just something we drifted into as an interesting side issue, nothing more.

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Actually, now TV do state and have stated for a long time that the USB port on NowTV boxes is currently non-functional and is the possible future functionality

http://www.nowtv.com/box

After clicking the link expands the tech specs tab

box2_specs.jpg

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy At the moment there isn't much you can do with the SD Slot and USB port these we're built in for future use and updates. At the moment most people use the USB slot as a way of charging their phones and tablets where a spare plug is not available. Which in a way i find handy myself 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @commanda6

Guys

Please, no more debate about the ports, I've known about them since the black box was released last year and the discussion about them was just one interesting "side issue" amongst other side issues, nothing more.

So lets not spin this up into something that its not, time to leave this (non) topic alone.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does anyone know if now TV are looking at this grey cloud/splodge issue at all? I mean with a view to permanently fixing it rather than just have users reboot their boxes when it happens?

I replaced three white boxes with black ones a year or so ago and regularly experience the stuck on a grey cloud issue. Okay it's not a huge problem as you just need to enter the particular button combination on the remote to solve it but it is annoying and something clearly isn't working the way it should. I can't recommend now TV to anyone any more because my only experience of the black boxes is that they have a glitch of some sort which means they need rebooted more often than not before you use them.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Wlat

That chattering mouth with the "O" is the boot-up screen, it's the screen all us box owners see when after we remove the plug for 30 seconds from the power supply.

With the reboot you don't have to reinstall your info and/or any apps but you would have to if you performed a reset.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

"A", "Abe" or what I normally get..."Oi, Numpty!" are all fine by me. Smiley Wink

You sound more and more like me..."PC Housekeeping" is a big thing for me as well.  I use Windows 10 these days (As well as ChromeOS for when I want to do things "Net-Based" quickly) but I do miss XP and I still use CCleaner (I still call it CrapCleaner like it used to be known) Malwarebytes, Disk Defrag and all the other "Old School" utilities and habits on a very regular basis.  Like you say..."Old habits die hard"

Better safe than sorry was the way I was taught, along with "A clean machine is a quick machine" Smiley Happy  When I got the Chromebox, it felt wrong not to have to go to "Utilities", have a firewall and Anti-Virus programme that locked it down and getting my head around "Cloud Based" made me think of "Space 1999" Smiley Embarassed

Nice talking to you, Bob...All the best!