cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV freezing

After reseting and reconnecting to Internet my now TV box prompts a software update. Which it does successfully 100%. Then the screen freezes and can not do anything at all except reset. . Ggrrrrr helpppp
403 REPLIES 403
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

SMD

Believe or not, I've thought of the Smart Box but I understand that it runs hot, due to it's four core-processors, and it's warm/hot to the touch, which possibly means that it's cooling system is inefficient and so cast doubts on it's longevity.

Hi @ukbobboy

I've had the 'smart' box running for around a month, and I would hardly describe it as running 'hot'. Much more like warm. And no warmer than a typical USB phone charger 😉

Cheers

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital

Hi SMD

I've taken your advice and ordered a Now TV Smart box from Argos (at £25.00).

Cheers

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I had same yesterday on black box pulled power out and it wasn't there when put back on
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

That line regarding the SD card ha salways been there 😛 (The SD card slot does work and can be used but only to store apps which is useless considering the app lists is so heavily restricted).

Anyway, just wanted to add that i too had the box crash described, exactly the same. Had to unplug the box to get it back up and running again.

I had been using the box and then went out for a couple of hours. When i returned the box was in its power/screensaver mode (which is normal). Pressing the home button to wake the box up resulted in the grey empty homescreen. What i did notice after i unplugged the box and started it back up was that it had checked for updates while i was out for that couple of hours (the last check time was stated in settings). So i do think the crash was update related (and its not the first time my boxes have done it).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
I had same yesterday on black box pulled power out and it wasn't there when put back on

Well, both my 'laptop' and 'Virgin HD box' froze yesterday Smiley Surprised It's no biggie...

Anonymous User
Not applicable
While it does now state on the box and website those slits are not used, initially it didn't when the boxes first released. I remember the big angry thread about it.

That being said the last time I looked tge little white booklet you get with a new box is very misleading. Is does state clearly there is a usb port but not used, but for the sd card it actually states what formats etc it supports leaving you to believe you can use it for photos etc. So its understandable why people do get confused 😉
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there

My Now TV box keeps freezing when I press play on any show/episode.  I have to unplug and restart every time.  The box has been replaced but the same thing is happening.  My interent connection is fine, I have changed the HDMI cables, done a hard reset and it is still doing it.  Any ideas? 

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

The next thing to do is force a software update which most likely will fix this for you if you follow the below this will tell you how to do it.

• Start by pressing your NOW TV remote control buttons in this order:

Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

• Select the Update Software option that appears on screen.
  • Press OK, even if you already have the latest version. 

Thanks

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone' had to return box to tesco for replacement and how did you get on I've had my box 6 months and haxz a fault now TV have told me to return it to tescos 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Has anyone' had to return box to tesco for replacement and how did you get on I've had my box 6 months and haxz a fault now TV have told me to return it to tescos 

Hi @Anonymous User,

Out of interest... What model of NOW TV playback device do you have [ie: a NOW TV 'black' box, a NOW TV 'white' box or a NOW TV 'Smart' box]?