cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV freezing

After reseting and reconnecting to Internet my now TV box prompts a software update. Which it does successfully 100%. Then the screen freezes and can not do anything at all except reset. . Ggrrrrr helpppp
403 REPLIES 403
Anonymous User
Not applicable
System seems to be back up. Didn't need to unplug anything.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

From reading the other threads some are lucky and works from the button, some need a power reset.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Just set it all back up...its working fine now
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for letting us know, have a good weekend.

ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

As I write this post, at 5.26 am, my Now TV back box is totally BRICKED, and it's worse than the bricking it got on 18th/19th November, i.e. nothing but a splurge (an ink like blot) on the home screen.

The last time I used my black box was between 12 noon and 2pm yesterday, Wednesday 15th November, and it worked perfectly as expected but when I tried it at 4 am today I found that it was bricked and displaying the home screen as described above.

At the moment, it looks like Now TV has either released another unapproved/untested update, someone has deliberately done something to sabotage Now TV's computers or my black box has suddenly gone wrong, and before I take any action, i.e. performing a hard reset, I'll wait until I see if other forum members are similarly afflicted or if it's just me.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

No problems with any of my boxes, including black box. Is it the grey cloud you are seeing on screen? If so that's a box that has frozen for some reason (the recent 'outages' tended to display endless restart loops). Pulling the power for 30 seconds should be fine, but you know the drill by now! (Bent paperclip handy in case!)

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy,

How about giving the 'smart' box a try (just remember to disable the screensaver) 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy

As it happens, my Black Box froze for the first time in months last night.  When I "Switched it on" all I got was a black screen with a milky, grey cloud in the middle but a 30 second wait after pulling the mains lead out got me back to the "Chattering Teeth" page and I was away again.  I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I didn't need @Andy 's paper clip.....To be honest, I think they only sell paper clips these days so that folk can bend them to reset stuff. Smiley Wink

I really hope that your box isn't "Bricked" but you could be right in that NowTV have updated something as when they do it seems to affect everybody in different ways.....I still shudder at the memory of 18th/19th November, even though I seemed to be unaffected.

Anyway, Good luck! Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @SeeMoreDigital @Abermaw

Hi Guys

First of all, that "ink blot" I tried to described you guys called a "milky grey cloud", which I must admit is a much better description.

Second, I was surprised that @Anonymous User suffered the same problem I have at roughly the same time, I can only assume that something must have been sent out that adversely affected both out machines.

Andy

Using the pin will my "solution" of last resort because you have to reinstall everything afterwards.

SMD

Believe or not, I've thought of the Smart Box but I understand that it runs hot, due to it's four core-processors, and it's warm/hot to the touch, which possibly means that it's cooling system is inefficient and so cast doubts on it's longevity.

Abermaw

I've used your suggestion and it's worked, I am now back up and running, cheers. 

Funny thing though,  I have never had a "milky grey cloud" crash during the 2 years I had the white box.

Anyway guys, thanks for coming to my rescue.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi A

You know, since my 30 seconds unplugging of my black box I've noticed that the machine has a noticeable speed increase, something that reminded me of when I was using older versions of Windows.

In other words, those old OSes would gradually slow down until they were rebooted then they would speed up again, the slow down itself was caused by leaked memory, i.e. used memory that was unabled to be released back to the OS for reuse.  Unless the OS was rebooted the resulting "memory leak" would slow down the PC until it crashed.

OK, I'm guessing that something similar happened to our black boxes, the "milky grey cloud" crash was caused by the OS system being unable to reuse "leaked memory" and so crashed forcing a manual reboot.

Mind you, this is all conjecture on my part, what do you think?

UK Bob