cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV freezing

After reseting and reconnecting to Internet my now TV box prompts a software update. Which it does successfully 100%. Then the screen freezes and can not do anything at all except reset. . Ggrrrrr helpppp
403 REPLIES 403
Anonymous User
Not applicable

so after all this, I go to the online chat and explain the problems. I am promised another box (Great service) but when i mention that the broadband speed is a third of the advertised speed it all goes wrong. I spend 20 minutes on online chat. I am told that she needs to disconnect the broadband in order to test it (fair enough) and could i ring in to the tech service line to continue the call. Problem starts when tech services (after holding on the phone for ages) want all the exact same details as I have just given over the last 20mins. I simply want to trial the next speed up broadband service. I will not accept the speed will be what they say, and if it proves to be that way I will happily pay for it. But no. I have to pay for it BEFORE i can test it. Why should I? they have been ripping me off (Speed-wise) since day 1, so why shoud i believe the next service up should be any different. I work on phones for a living and did not raise my voice, shout or be abusive in any way (check the recording) but the advisor hung up. I say again.. What awful service.

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User unfortunately advertised speeds are often not reached for many suppliers. Basically if you can only get 6 Mbps on BT you will only get that on Sky as they use the same line. What you need to look at is your personal estimate and whether you are getting that.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your input. But I had sky before changing to NOW TV, and the Sky broadband was much faster on the same line. I understand it's a 'budget' broadband, but the line is capable of faster speeds, so why isn't the NOW TV service reaching its maximum? As it's nowhere near the speeds I got with SKY. By the way.. I left SKY for terrible customer service, and signed up with NOW TV before I realised it was run by sky!! Ha HA! More fool me!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Out of interest... Which of the three NOW TV Combo broadband speeds did you go for: Brilliant Broadband (up to 17Mbps), Fab Fibre (up to 38Mbps) or Super Fibre (up to 76Mbps)?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I went for the basic broadband. I knew it wouldn't be great, but Iv'e tested it with various utilities and im only getting a speed of about 3meg. Even though the description says upto 17meg, I still feel I have been massively short changed. I have received a new box now (thanks very much) but there is no change to the issue i am  having. I have to turn the box off at the plug and leave it before turning it on again. Only after I do this will it turn on. The remote will not bring the box to life as it states in the instructions. I refuse to believe everyone has this problem, but the online service department is useless.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi C

I'm sure you know the "Up to" doesn't mean you will get it's purely a theoretical maximum, it's a (legal) trick telecom companies have being playing on us as consumers for years.

The speed, both uploading and downloading, depends on the quality of the line, whether copper (which a lot of areas still have) or fibre and your distance from your local telecom exchange, i.e. the further away you are the slower the speed.

Finally, if your box is faulty and still within the guarantee period then change it, there is no point in holding onto it if it doesn't work.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Hello 🙂

Have you had the combo for more than 10 days?

For the first 10 days, the speed tends to be up and down.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

turn now on but all i get is the home channel and amunable to move

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

In the interest in collecting information. What's the make and model number of your NOW TV playback device?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I guess this is with a black box (since its posted in the black box forum). Without more information and simply based on what you have said i can only suggest that the issue could be the remote control or that the box has frozen.

When you aim the remote at the box and press a button, does the white light flash? If not then there might be a problem with the remote. Try to replace the batteries, ensure that nothing is obstructing the line of sight between your box and the remote (the signal can not travel thourgh objects, it must be a clear path) and eensure you have none of the plastic protective film still on the box or remote sensors as this can case problems.

If your box appears to be recieving the remote requests (indicated by the light flashing when you press a button)  or the above hasnt fixed the issue then it may be that the box has just frozen. This does seem to happen ocasionaly and is often solved simply by unplugging your box from the mains for a couple of minutes and the pluggin it back in. (dont worry you wont loose an settings if you unplugg it).