Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV black box not recognising ethernet cable after software update

Hi all,

I have a NOW TV black box serial number: 568696759503

Following the recent NOW TV software update or rebranding it started to not recognise the ethernet connection. This fault initially occurred while we were watching a programme on it, an error message appeared with 'oops something went wrong'. After this no internet could be detected.

I have  factory reset the NOW TV box, checked for further updates and  changed the the ethernet cable all of which has not resolved the issue. The ethernet cable is plugged into the powerline and I have checked this and all seems to work fine there. The broadband hub has been re-set and I am having no issues with connectivity in the rest of the house either wired, via powerline or WiFi (just used for mobile phones)

I am able to connect the NOW TV hub via WiFi, which appears to work. However this is a little laggy and is annoying to use and I strongly prefer to have wired connections for these things, for a variety of reasons.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue related to software updates? If not are there any ideas on how this can be rectified. 

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No problems my end using my NOW Smart box over Ethernet connected directly into my NOW Hub 2 Ethernet port since the new software UI update.

Is there anyway you can bypass the powerline Ethernet adaptors and plug the Ethernet cable between the NOW box and NOW Hub Router has a temporary test even if it means temporary testing on a television closer to your NOW Hub Router to see if the same fault persists ?

I am guessing you have gone into the NOW Box Settings under Network just in case the NOW box is running over WiFi (even if there is a Ethernet cable is plugged into the box just in case the box is being forced into it's WiFi connection ) ?

Sorry i don't have any firm ideas apart from report the problem to NOW live chat (unless somebody else is getting the same exact problem).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No problems my end using my NOW Smart box over Ethernet connected directly into my NOW Hub 2 Ethernet port since the new software UI update.

Is there anyway you can bypass the powerline Ethernet adaptors and plug the Ethernet cable between the NOW box and NOW Hub Router has a temporary test even if it means temporary testing on a television closer to your NOW Hub Router to see if the same fault persists ?

I am guessing you have gone into the NOW Box Settings under Network just in case the NOW box is running over WiFi (even if there is a Ethernet cable is plugged into the box just in case the box is being forced into it's WiFi connection ) ?

Sorry i don't have any firm ideas apart from report the problem to NOW live chat (unless somebody else is getting the same exact problem).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps  for the quick response. 

I have tried your suggestion thanks,  and it has detected the wired connection!  Having just plugged it back into the Powerline adapter it is continuing to detect the ethernet, so looks like whatever caused the issue has resolved. My money is on the software update causing some issues. 🙂

My thanks for your help.👍