cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New tv compatibility

I have a now tv black box and recently got a new 4kultra hd tv, I noticed only on the now tv box it goes to black screen a notice comes up saying dolby vision still having sound but no picture, the tv website says compatibility issues are because it doesnt support the item connected ie nowtv box and it wouldn't support the stick either, I would hate to have to get rid of it as I have it as my main tv supply but every few minutes it keeps happening and I keep turning the hd input to regular from enhanced as this can help but it just switches back. Now I get it's the tv doing this but why are the boxes or newest sticks not supported on these devices??? 

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have two 4K UHD televisions and both TV's work with my NowTV black box and NowTV Stick.

A couple of things you can try, go into the television menu settings to see if there is an option under HDMI to switch off Enhanced mode, try a different HDMI port on your television and maybe try another HDMI cable.

If you can access the NowTV Box menu settings instead of Auto under the Display settings try forcing 1080p instead.

There is something not quite right in your television menu settings that is causing the NowTV Box not to display correctly.

Out of curiosity what is the make and model number of your new 4K television ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I will try this I didn't think about the box settings, I've noticed only does it on movies both live or streamed, everything else fine. I've attached a picture of the tv make and model etc. I only got it last August had the problem after a few months. I've tried other HDMI inputs but haven't tried other cables yet. I will look into the box settings for now and see what happens 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If the black screen is only started happening since the new look NowTV screen home page layout was pushed out on the NowTV devices in the recent weeks, then you might be suffering from this.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/Blue-intermittent-screen-since-update/m-p/540185 

When there is a loss of HDMI signal some TV's will be blue, where other TV's will be black.

Some TV'S in their menu settings you can choose between a Blue or Black screen when there is no HDMI or temporary loss of HDMI signal (My Projector has this option).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You could also try a forced software update on your NowTV box by following these instructions below, though i don't know if NowTV have yet fully identified and fixed the intermittent blue flashing screen on the link thread that i posted above.

How to undertake a forced software update on your NowTV Box or Stick :-

This updates your software, fixing any faults in the process.

• Start by pressing your NOW TV remote control buttons in this order:

Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

• Select the Update Software option that appears on the next screen.
  • Press OK, even if you already have the latest version. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey thanks I will give this a try it has been happening before the new look came in, I tried changing the tv output as someone had previously suggested to 1080p instead of auto and no change, only seems to be on movies my tv comes up with a note saying upscaling with dolby vision and then screen goes black but sound stays on. I may try a different HDMI cable as also suggested.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Because you mentioned a Dolby Vision message pops up on your screen when watching NowTV on your Box then the NowTV branded devices doesn't support Dolby Vision (where the only NowTV Box that offers HDR is the NowTV 4K box with the pink NowTV logo on the box but this only covers HDR 10 and not the Dolby Vision variant, when watching certain Apps on the box, but not the NowTV App which is SDR).

I Reckon there is something in your Television menu picture or HDMI settings is causing this to happen.