cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

New power settings on updated app

A question (grumble/rant) to those that worked on the new update to the service.

What's going on with the power settings for stand alone NowTv devices?

Previous iterations of the app have powered down the box after 10 minutes of inactivity (as long as you were in the menu screen) resulting in the power light going out. Now the box seems to be permanently on and only goes to sleep after 4 hours (the only option you can select in the settings).

Also, just switching on my television forces the box to start up from its long awaited sleep and switch the TV's input to the box, regardless if I want to use it or not.

I appreciate that as a single device the power consumption is low (the best resource I can find shows it's about 3.5 watts streaming and 2 watts idle) but collectively (how many devices are there in the UK - 200,000? 500,000?) that is an enormous amount of energy when we are in an age of not wasting energy and contributing to needless co2 omissions. 

Sky claim that they are reducing carbon emissions as a company to zero by 2030 "To get there, we’ll cut the carbon emissions created by our business, by our suppliers across the world and by the use of our tech products, by at least 50%" but the latest update seems to counter that statement by increasing needless energy consumption.

https://www.skygroup.sky/sky-zero

@Karl-F @Simon-J can this be fed back to the development team for an answer?

24 REPLIES 24
Saint1976
Elite 3

@schnapps finally got the box to power down and the bouncing logo appeared by using the old interface. Tried on a few screens - menu, app store, TV guide and all the same result so it must be the new UI/home screen that doesn't recognise the setting. 

I just have to remember to go to one of those screens from now on!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

I only tend to use the new home screen page layout now, though my 4K box has the bug which forces you onto the My Apps page (which i reported it to NowTV over the Weekend).

I did notice this morning when i fired up the television and was greeted with the bouncing NowTV Logo that when i started up the box it was stuck on the My Apps section, so your testing and theory sounds possibly right 👍.

@Simon-J can you forward these findings onto your relevant Dept please.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@schnapps yep I noticed that bug on Sunday which is possibly why the box powered down after watching the F1 as I was forced into the app screen.

I hope it's just a tweak to the code so that the power setting is applied to the new UI but I won't hold my breath as they'll lose the rolling adverts! Although, I have wondered what the point of the adverts are if your TV is switched off 🤔

Anonymous User
Not applicable

for last 3days iam getting unknowen error blue screen on my now tv sticks live chat want me to send a video of it it every 15min to 1hour keeps cutting out .come on now tv its not my tv its your new ui software update 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also had issues with powering down after use, as others have said it seems you have to go to another screen thats not the the main menu screen in order for the light to go out after 1 min (my personal setting), but after 2 hours the box wants to come back on without any prompting from me!!

So I have to go onto the box and go through the motions of putting a non main screen on, come off it and then the light goes out after 1 min, then it sems to stay off, until I want to use it again.

Also why has the nowTV app disappeared from My Apps? In order to get to the NowTV app I have to go through the app store to access it?

This new "update" is not an improvement and was not needed. Everything was working fine as it was.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Simon-J any news on this as my box has also started switching itself ON in the middle of the night!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same trouble with the light staying on and I have to keep unplugging the black box in the middle of the night!!!!

anyone got any answers to this annoying problem. 

may even cancel my subscription!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have the problem in that the blue light now stays on whereas before when I switched off my tv the light went off after a couple of minutes. As I use this box in the bedroom it’s incredibly annoying!!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My NowTV 4K box is now fixed with regards to the power light and box not switching off during no use.

I went into the box menu settings under System > Power > Auto Power Savings and unticked and then ticked the box option again.

Don't know if it's fixed on the NowTV Freeview Smart boxes with the blue power light because i believe they are running an older OS software version which is behind the current OS firmware on the NowTV 4K boxes.