cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My ' Recently Watched' just spins endlessly - so does my Recently Added in Movie section?

For the past few weeks the section 'My TV - Recently Watched' does not show anything.  Instead I get the four coloured balls spinning endlessly.  I have rebooted the box, rebooted my modem and nothing changes.  

Also when I go to MOVIES nothing happens but if I press OK then it takes me to the list of 'Recently Added', 'Oscar Winners' etc etc BUT again I get the coloured spinning balls for Recently Added and nothing ever shows up.  The other categories are OK.

I use the 'My TV - Recently Watched' a lot and it's very frustrating that it just doesnt work now.  Any advice on how to rectify this please?

68 REPLIES 68
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Simon-J

To clarify, no i'm not using beta versions of the app, it was meant sarcasticly when i said i was beta testing 😛

I have a laptop on Windows 10 where i have the NowTv App installed. It is very rare i use it though as my laptop is for work mostly, thus why i have the boxes connected to the tv. I have just given it a try though and i don't seem to be experiancing any issues with it - but it was only a quick test. Can not test on my phone as there is no app for windows phone 😞

Funny thing is, as the other poster has already said above, my Black box has just today go the new update. I epxerianced the exact same problem, everything worked fine and i assumed all was fixed with it but then after a while the issue returned. So i can confirm the new update doesnt fix it.

My white box has not received the update yet though and is still experiancing the issue. I have noticed that the intensity of the issue is much worse/more frequent on my white box than the black one but i think that is simply becuase the white one is in use more at the moment and as said previously it seems to get worse day by day.

So to clarify it does not seem to make a differeance what version of the software my boxes are running, they still have the issue.

Black Box: v7.0 Build 9566

White Box v6.1 Build 5660

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried to add this in my last post but seems i ran out of time to edit it,

Anyway, i have also tried using the browser (in this case MS Edge). I don't seem to have any problems with it, i can see all the categories and access them, including MyTV> watchlist, recently watched. So far the problem seems to be occuring only on my set top boxes. But browser and windows store apps where only quick checks.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

Thanks for your post. 

Can you please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue? 

We have tried on our NOW TV Box with the same software version and build as your Black NOW TV Box, and we are not receiving the same issue. 

If you could take a picture of your MY TV section if you are still having this problem and we'll get this looked into further. 

Thanks, 

Karl

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Karl-F

Yes i am still experiancing this on both the white and black box and i have already supplied pictures! See my other posts in this thread!

One of them clearly show the menu messed up and stuck on the movies menu with all the categories missing, even though it is showing the recently watched on the right.. there was no mytv in this case, it vanished and i could not even get out of the mesed up movies menu, ok and arrows buttons did nothing. Other pictures clearly show the spinning circles and no content loading. Each instant of the bug differs very slightly, some times its the enterteinment, sometimes the movies, sometimes my tv, and sometimes the app just freezes and closes itself - i have already explained all this.

As i have said this is on a white and a black box, the black box has just recently received the new update too which looked to have fixed it but it started again. So two different boxes, two different software builds and it happens on both.. the white box is much worse than the black one.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User,

Thanks for coming back to us.

We're getting this looked into for you, currently speaking to teams involved with the app on the box.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just discovered that the NowTV is not the only app doing this. It seems the BBCiPlayer and Youtube apps are having the simular issues.

If i launch the BBCiPlayer app it works ok to start but if i move around the menus too much the the UI also goes funny. Also if i watch a programme it will stream it fine but i can not get out of it.. the UI that should appear during playback is non-existant, non of the buttons on the remote that should work during playy back (Play/Pause, OK, Rew/FF and arrows) are working correctly. If i press a button the UI does not appear but i can see the light on the nowtv box flash to indicate the signal was recieved. I can not even exit the app with the home button or back buttons etc. The video just continues to play and then after about 2-3 minutes there will be a lot of clicking sounds (the same sounds you would hear when you are on the Box home page) and the video stops. It then stays like that for a minute whil making loads of clicks until finally i get a black screen, if i wait another 2 minutes the box's home page will eventually appear so the app has closed itself just like the NowTV one is doing. However the Box's homepage is empty, there is not any apps, no Home, Settings, Apps on the left, just a blueish screen with everything missing.

So even the box's homepage is bugging out now, that's the screen where it lists apps - not an actuall app.

Yourtube is almost the same, the UI will mess up after a while and videos will play to start but then they start to stutter and finally just crash. However the YouTube app does not crash but instead comes almost irreisponsive, one command form the remote takes around a minute to perform, and transitions on menus move very very slowly and stutter when they should be smooth, it's almost as if the box ran out of power. (Just imagine a extremly old computer trying to run a programme that had requirments way above the computers specs).

This is on my White Box, i have not yet tried these apps on the black box, nor have i yet tried any other apps apart form those above on the white one.

I think it's safe to say that something is seriously wrong here. Since almost two weeks ago when this issue first appeared on both my boxes it has got from a minor problem to almost bringing the boxes to unusable. It seems the more i am using the boxes the more worse they become and now it has somehow spread to other apps and the main homepage too 😞

I am using my white box mostly at the moment which may explain why the white box is now in a much worse condition than the black one - i dont really want to use the black one now either in case it makes the issue worse on that one too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for the extra info. 

This may be unique to your particualr White NOW TV Box, if it is on its last legs, so to speak.

We've tried testing this out and we're not getting the same issue. However, as @Simon-J is having this looked into we will do our best to get you some answers.

Sorry for the frustrating experience.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Thanks for keeping us informed, its good to know it is being looked into at least.

Just to update on my previous post. I have tried other apps (BBC Youtube) on the black box and i do not eperiance any issues with them. The NowTV app is the only one experiancing issues on the black one, although this is actually how the white box started too, originally just the nowtv app but the it seems to have spread further.

I dont have many app sinstalled on the boxs (9 in total) and i have tried the those others apps now too and they seem to work perfectly fine (a little slower on the white box but thats expected). - The other apps are sky store, news, sports news, demand 5, all4, itv player (and bbc and youtube of course).

As for age of the box's, my black one is around 4 months old (Got in Novemeber) and the white one is around a year old (i bought two of them around feb/march i think). One white one packed inlast year but the second one has been fine upto a couple weeks ago. You might be right and it has just got to the end of its life 😞

Anyway i'm more bothered about finding and fixing the nowtv app issue as that effects both my boxes adn what is most important. I can live without the white box if it does completely die but i need the black one to work as thats my main box.

ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members & Now Tech Team

How long is a white Now TV box suppose to last, i.e. from first switch on to it's last gasp?

Personally, I'm guessing between 18 - 24 months, depending on active usage.

And guessing again, probably the black Now TV box has a similar life span.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd expect longer. They were based on two year old kit when first released and the original Rokus are still running. The main issue will be lack of grunt and struggling to cope with newer firmwares and apps expecting more.