cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My ' Recently Watched' just spins endlessly - so does my Recently Added in Movie section?

For the past few weeks the section 'My TV - Recently Watched' does not show anything.  Instead I get the four coloured balls spinning endlessly.  I have rebooted the box, rebooted my modem and nothing changes.  

Also when I go to MOVIES nothing happens but if I press OK then it takes me to the list of 'Recently Added', 'Oscar Winners' etc etc BUT again I get the coloured spinning balls for Recently Added and nothing ever shows up.  The other categories are OK.

I use the 'My TV - Recently Watched' a lot and it's very frustrating that it just doesnt work now.  Any advice on how to rectify this please?

68 REPLIES 68
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Artesea

I get the fact that any two year old computer processing kit will start to struggle with modern applications that are expecting a more powerful processor.

However, what is the expected life span of a Now TV box, at the moment there does not seem to be any information on this subject.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

EU regulations stipulate that most products should have a minimum two year warranty. But in reality each EU country have their own regulations.

Generally the first things to go on most AV devices are the power supply components.  The bulk of the Roku's power supply components come in the form of an external PSU which can easily be replaced if it fails. 

All that aside, given that these little Now TV branded Roku devices only cost £15.00 to replace (just over 4p per day over a year), it's not a fortune to replace the entire device - Especially if you have other vices in your life such as drinking and smoking Smiley LOL

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

My Roku LT, on which white box is based, still works after 3 years 3 months ( purchased Dec 2012)

I did buy an HDMI Streaming Stick in Jan 2015 when Roku screwed up an upgrade to LT - later sorted.

Devices are always switched off at close of play.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

The black box comes with a 1 year warranty.  But how long it, or the white box, would usually last in reality is difficult to say.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To put a lifespan on any electrical product is quite difficult becuase there are so many factors involved. In general the lifespan would not be mesaured in years as such but in 'uptime hours'.

Uptime hours hours is based more on the compnonents of the device (generally the weakest) and evrimental factors, but it is only a guidline and many things can effect or reduce this uptime life. In many devices, power down/up cycles can reduce this uptime as can temperature, mositure and other envorinemntal factors. (Notice how you light bulbs tend to blow when you switch them on? or your tv stops working when you try power it up? or your phone goes slow if its too cold).

Surges,spikes, power cuts in the electricity supply also have an effect on the lifespan of components in a device, all of which put companents under stress and reduce the lifesspan.

Then there is the manfucaturing of the device itself, the quality of the boards, solder and components. Cheaper components have significantly lower uptime hours (Such as capacitors) than the higher grade ones. Lower grade solder will have the same effect (If you have ever bought a motherboard for a computer you can witness this just by price alone).

That been said, even with all that in mind i think theses days as with most 'Smart' technology it is likely not the devices lifespan coming to an end that pushes you to replace it but more the fact that software updates render it unusable. You can think of these kind of devices in the same way as a computer, the software on that computer would be developed and updated constantly and become more and more demanding to a point where your computer can no longer run it. The differance being you can in most cases upgrade a computer where as with smart devices you cant as everything is embedded.

Becuase of all the factros invloved it is impossible to put an exact lifespan on any electrical product, anything stated would simply be a estimate based on recommend environmental factors (often these are stated in the products manual) and dont take into account your personal factors, your electricity supply stability etc.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

.. well back to the original topic of this thread 😛

I think it is safe to say my white box may be dying, something is seriously wrong with it. The problem has now spread to all4 and demand 5 too, which were working fina as i stated in my previous post 😞 All 4 is now an instant crash as soon as i attempt to move around the menu and Demand 5 is now behaving exactly the same as BBCi Player.

Any news about the issue with NowTV app on the black box yet? With my white one in such a state i need that working now more than ever 😞

On a side note is there a way i can check the purchase date of my white boxes? I did buy them directly from NowTV on this website. I'm fairly sure it is out of warranty now anyway, but it is at least worth checking i guess.

EDIT: I was checking thorugh my order history and although it does not state the box purchase dates i can see my first vouncher was applied on the 28th Feb 2015.. which was my first white box. That one died in November. I purchased a second white box around a month after the first one which is the one i still have now but as they sahre the account i cannot find a date by looking at the vouchers alone as to when i got it. The manage devices section does not give a date either as to when the device was added just to when it was last used. If i gave you the serial number of the box could you check the dates maybe?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you go to the repairs process page http://help.nowtv.com/article/Replace-faulty-NOW-TV-box you'll be able to enter your serial number to check if it is still in warranty (after you've gone through the first coupe of pages of troubleshooting steps).

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Might seem an odd question but I've been asked if you see this on any other device you use a PC perhaps?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1)  I can see the 'Movies - Recently Added' on the browser using the PC.

2)  There is not a 'Recently Watched' List on the PC browser version!

This morning found I had the update : Software version 7.0 Build 9566 but all the problems still there!  Have rebooted again, both modem and NOWTv box - still the same!!!!!!

Actually, I did have the 'Recently Watched' back - but only lasted for about 5 minutes this morning - it is not there any more - Back to square one!!

It is now 6 days since I posted and no suggestions or explanations.  It's very inconvenient not having recently watched and no recently added movies.  Surely there must be someone in your technical department who can sort this out and in a timely manner?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have the same problem... Newly added films just spin. We can watch others though. 

Have turned off and rebooted hub... Rebooted nowtv box... Updayed sysyem software.. Nothing. Fed up cant watch New films very frustrating