cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My ' Recently Watched' just spins endlessly - so does my Recently Added in Movie section?

For the past few weeks the section 'My TV - Recently Watched' does not show anything.  Instead I get the four coloured balls spinning endlessly.  I have rebooted the box, rebooted my modem and nothing changes.  

Also when I go to MOVIES nothing happens but if I press OK then it takes me to the list of 'Recently Added', 'Oscar Winners' etc etc BUT again I get the coloured spinning balls for Recently Added and nothing ever shows up.  The other categories are OK.

I use the 'My TV - Recently Watched' a lot and it's very frustrating that it just doesnt work now.  Any advice on how to rectify this please?

68 REPLIES 68
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital Currently (and usually), WiFi.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sufficed to say, a wired ethernet network connection is much more reliable. Even if they're 'Powerline' ethernet type devices...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital The problems i had were not related to my connections or router etc. During process of elimination the black box was tesed on ethernet (white one does not have such an option). My connection is also provided by Sky and not once in 2 years have i had any problem with the WiFi, there is very little that could interfere with it here. i even use it for online MMO. I live in a fairly remote location with very a low population, so am able maintain a steady 30Mb line speed, on a non fibre connection. Still, a NowTV box should not crash and refuse to start up and corrupt the UI within the apps, not sync 'mytv' content if it was to loose connection for short time (or even a long one), so even if that was the case then their is definatly something wrong (and lets not forget that streaming programmes/buffering was never an issue providing the app didn't crash/self close).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

With respect, I've been dealing with WiFi enabled devices since they first appeared. They are/can be very peculiar beasts!

I've been round to too many peoples businesses and too many friends houses who have all said... "Everything was working fine until yesterday...."  Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital Yep they can, as can any electronic equipement. However i do deal with these kinda of issues at a professional level on a daily basis too 😛

I think the title of this thread is now a bit missleading, as what started as just a 'spinning circles' issue quickly became a large list of issues which all happened at the same time (Which you can see with the multiple posts and photos). Indeed the title would definalty assume a 'connection' issue at first glance so it makes perfect sence you would bring up your points above 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, over the last few days the problem seems fixed now on both boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I did wonder how you were getting on. Glad it is working again for you too.

@Simon-J I'm guessing the fixes you emailed me about on monday afternoon must of taken effect after rebooting that day and have worked after all ,as i have had no further problems since the crash/frozen state on monday morning and now Daisyannah has also confirmed things are working once again too. Must of just been good timing and coincidece that things started working after i removed the faulty white box from my account at that exact same time. (Did actually plug the white one back in earlier to see if the third party apps started to work again, but now it doesnt even power up anymore.. safe to say that it is completely dead now haha).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Simon-J

The home screen crash issue is not fixed after all. One of my boxes has frozen again tonight and I've had to reset and log back into everything yet again.. And to make matters worse it is my new black box that has crashed, not the older black one.. So this issue still needs looking into..
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

I have been somewhat following your problem with interest and hope that when you eventual solve it you let us know how you did it.

Now, you said that you deal with wi-fi on a professional basis and, I presume, how computer-type equipment communicate with each other as well, so anything I might suggest you've probably checked already but I'd just like to throw my two cents worth into the arena.

OK, In the dim and distant past I used to work with the early networking of computers, the type of crash you are experiencing reminds me of the time when two or more computers got allocated the same IP address.  I'm guessing here but I believe that whenever a computer got an already allocated IP address it would crash.

So what I am asking is, have you checked that each your Now TV boxes are getting their own unique IP address?

Silly question I know but I had to ask.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hehe, well its not really a silly question and any ideas are welcomed. However as you pretty much guessed it is something I have already looked in to.

Seemingly a box will still crash too even if it is the only single device on the network, it will crash if its connected to another network provided by different provider using different router also. We have two lines here and the issue is present on both.

The UI errors, nowtv app crashing/self closing, missing categories, spinning circles issues started around the time the new software version was being rolled out. At the time I had a white and black box, both on the older software version and both having the same issues. During this period the black box received the 7.0 update that was being rolled out but both boxes continued to have these issues.

It was only with the introduction of 7.0 that the home screen crashes appeared and only on the black box (as the white one was still on old version).

The white box turned out to be faulty anyway so wad replaced meaning I now have two black boxes. Both the black ones are up to date with 7.0 and both experience the crash issue.

It appears all the other original issues are fixed, the boxes now run without issue but this home screen issue which was clearly introduced in 7.0 still remains. The boxes don't crash while in use, it is when they are idle or standby you could say. They work perfectly fine, you can watch something then exit to the home screen and go off for an hour to do something, but when you return the box is frozen. Sometimes its as little as an hour, sometimes its several hours.

Whatever is the cause it was certainly introduced with the new 7.0 update and has something to do with the new homscreen.