cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

MAC adress filtering

Is there any way I could ban certain MAC addreses from connecting to my WiFi?

19 REPLIES 19
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Lauris

It would be a lot easier to change your Wi-Fi password to one only you know rather than typing in 12 digit MAC addresses into a banned list, and that is only if your router has a "banning" facility.

UK Bob

Rnie
Mentor

Wow bob, that was the dumbest response to that question I could imagine.  Despite the fact that MAC address filtering is a very common part of network security.  One of it's handy little features is to just block a device instead of changing passwords on every phone, printer, TV or whatever you have connected.  

To those who found this looking for an answer like I did, what BOB is not telling you is Now TV do NOT support MAC filtering, or any kind of filtering.  The cheap crappy routers they use is very limited on features so don't expect to be able to put any time limits or restrictions on a child's internet access Like most modern routers.

RoyB
Legend

@Rnie 

Even dumber than replying to a dead thread three and a half years old?

And I think they had MAC spoofing even way back then.

Not to mention that if someone you don’t know has your WiFi password, you’re pwned, whichever way you look at it, and you better change it fast.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Joe6
Advocate

Another legend. Why there some many here justifying this? I can only think it is because they have links to NOW.
This explanation RoyB is for what, for infants or adults?.
NOW HUB2 routers are easily hack!!!. Read it everyone if you care about your privacy!!!
They don’t' lack only MAC filtering, it doesn't matter if MAC spoofing has been around for 100 years.
Aircrack-ng and others similar programs used to crack WIFI passwords are easily accessible. There is even a Linux distro full of pre-installed apps for this purpose. You don't need to be very savvy to launch some of these nearly automated WIFI cracking apps, watch a couple of Youtube videos and you probably got it. MAC spoofing is network security attack, you need to have certain degree of knowledge to do it.
Vast majority of those who crack WIFIs, do it for their own use at home and they keep it as quite as possible. Rarely you'll see an organized attack after compromising a household WIFI.
So please, stop justifying something that cannot be justified. The reality is that the routers that NOW sent to their customers, at least the NOW HUB2, are some of the worst around.

Joe6
Advocate

100% agreed here with Rnie. The basic of the basic in a Router, MAC filtering.
Now HUB2 don't have it.
And wait for this. My WIFI was hacked and there were 6 extra devices attached. As part of the troubleshooting, not just change password but also allow only those MAC addressed you recognise as trusted and the rest, just get blocked. So changing password was the only thing available. I went ahead with a very long password, made up of special characters only.
Problem solved I thought, thing is that the following day the same devices were hooked to my router., it was hacked again in less than 1 day, that was shocking. I had to go ahead with what I have, changed the network address to a very uncommon one, so it cannot be guessed like 192.168.0.X, I disabled DHCP, create some FW rules. All this because no MAC filtering.
Ladies and gent, current Now Hub2, as well as Sky HUB, are VERY vulnerable and very easy to hack and get into your network, your life, your privacy. Somone with a little skill would be able to try and access your personal files once connected to your WIFI.
I'm so furious with this, looking for routers to buy together with a modem to avoid this situation.
I work as a Cyber Security Engineer; I perfectly know what I'm talking about here.
NOW, do something!!, get reliable equipment and not this rubbish HUB2, there is no other word for it.
A lot of marketing about those crap routers and "legends" like BOB advising it will be easier to change the WIFI password? No, it will not BOB you must be kidding.

Rnie
Mentor

A Thread is not dead if it's the first thing that comes up when you do a simple search.  People find them all the time when trying to find answers to something, and I like to update them sometimes to give useful  information rather than the typical useless stuff Bob and you are giving.  

I was just looking for any mac address filter info but kept coming up against this useless thread, as you and the company avoid answering it at all costs.  

And MAC spoofing, lol that's like saying you don't need antivirus because you should not download a virus.

Do you really not see how your example is just an excuse for a company being cheap and not providing simple features found on moust routers that could make a users life easier.  Hell it should be added with a user friendly interface and used as a selling point of their product, parents would flock to it.  I don't know how many friends and families systems I've set up over the years and shown them how to adjust it with a simple list of commands, and they have all loved it.

===============================================================================

Please bear in mind you are just a customer and the IT support team are laughing their ass of at you doing their work for them.  Where I used to work we had one who would answer so many we were able to stop monitoring the forums all together unless someone responded to him, if they did we would know and just double check to see if we needed to get involved.  When he retired and stopped using the software we hired a nice part timer to do his job.   Do you enjoy doing this and taking someones job just so you can help a massive company save cash on IT support staff and provide a decent router.

Your turn, let's see how long we can do this before the real team jump in.

RoyB
Legend

@Rnie 

Indefinitely, alas, except I’m going to stop now.

if you used to work in tech support, like I do, (Now is something I tinker with while waiting to give the support I actually get paid for) then you will know that there are various ‘types’ that you get on free support forums that you don’t get on paid ones, and you have become one of the more, er, shall we say ‘challenging’ ones. Or maybe you always were?

You know, the ones that come out of nowhere, nominally with a question to be answered, but actually just wanting to have a pop generally, and maybe show off the knowledge they think they possess.

And always, always, expecting Rolls Royce service, despite only having bought a Ford Fiesta.

Oh, and skipping over the one or more really awkward points (for them) in any answers they get.

Any recognition there?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Rnie
Mentor

Is expecting an answer to a simple question "Wanting Rolls Royce Service", and what is Rolls Royce Service? does a standard customer have to pay extra to get an actual answer?  

And to Bob if you read this (he does not do this any more), I apologise, I saw in a post a year or so later someone explained the reason it would have helped them, and you thanked them for the information and confirmed it would have been useful in their situation.  Rpy do you really not see my point in the uses for Mac Addresses in home networks from my explanation and still think I'm wrong?

Regards,

The support guy who is on the customers side not the companies.

RoyB
Legend

@Rnie 

(i) You can call Now Broadband on 0330 041 2518 if you need help, or variously, 0800 759 1213. Shouldn’t cost you anything from a Now Broadband customer line, and you can ask them the question, get a definitive answer. They may even know why…..

(ii) Nope, I can’t see it. Servers maybe, yes, but anyone coming onto your home network either has your WiFi password, or is a web server you initiated a conversation with, So blocking their MAC address, in both cases, is like locking your side gate but leaving the front door wide open.

https://www.howtogeek.com/204458/why-you-shouldn%E2%80%99t-use-mac-address-filtering-on-your-wi-fi-r...

Or have I missed something here?