cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Low resolution

Been using nowtv for three years, up until last week never had a problem.

I'm with virgin broadband running speedtest averages at over 100mbps.

Using black roku box, connected via Ethernet cable along with my other nowtv boxes.

All last week started to buffer, then drop to low resolution that's unwatchable. This is about the same time nowtv introduced the new stick and changed default resolution from 720p to 1080p.

The black roku box is meant to be able to handle 1080p.

So far troubleshooting consisted of, reboot all four boxes, factory reset all boxes, applied all updates.

Ran home x 5, rr x 3, and ff x 2, set but rate to 2.5mbs no change reset back to automatic.

Rebooted my router, checked broadband line for errors, nothing, ran speedtest again getting over 100mbs.

I can steam all other apps fine via the roku box just nowtv that drops to very low resolution since last week.

Spoke to nowtv no help.

Not sure what else to do now, tempted to quite as no support, also reading this blog seems loads have had same problem recently.
10 REPLIES 10
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:
Been using nowtv for three years, up until last week never had a problem.

I'm with virgin broadband running speedtest averages at over 100mbps.

Using black roku box, connected via Ethernet cable along with my other nowtv boxes.

All last week started to buffer, then drop to low resolution that's unwatchable. This is about the same time nowtv introduced the new stick and changed default resolution from 720p to 1080p.

The black roku box is meant to be able to handle 1080p.

So far troubleshooting consisted of, reboot all four boxes, factory reset all boxes, applied all updates.

Ran home x 5, rr x 3, and ff x 2, set but rate to 2.5mbs no change reset back to automatic.

Rebooted my router, checked broadband line for errors, nothing, ran speedtest again getting over 100mbs.

I can steam all other apps fine via the roku box just nowtv that drops to very low resolution since last week.

Spoke to nowtv no help.

Not sure what else to do now, tempted to quite as no support, also reading this blog seems loads have had same problem recently.

@Anonymous User Seems like you have done everything there is to do and this might sound stupid, but have you tried watching via WiFi and not ethernet? (I know this sounds dumb but sometimes it works and i have no idea why to be honest) You have probably already did this tbh. But get back to me here if it doesn't work. Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers, as it happens so far today all streams have been in 720p so hopefully the original problem has been remediated.
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:
Cheers, as it happens so far today all streams have been in 720p so hopefully the original problem has been remediated.

Hopefully anyway @Anonymous User Give us a shout if it happens again sure. Thanks for getting back 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem.

Since last week the entertainment and movies are buffering and pixilated.

I have a Roku box and i think this may have started with a Roku update at the start of March.

I have tried all the recommended steps to correct this, and Youtube and I player etc are good quality.

On the verge of cancelling as the service is unwatchable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have same issue. Just started last week. Done every thing I have read on here and web...I am one month into a three month movies voucher and the picture is unwatchable now. Tried wifi, hard wired, guest wifi, bit rate, switching everything on/off etc. Is this an issue with Virgin Broadband or Now TV? 

Are Nowtv investigating this issue as it is clear from web searches that this is affecting hundreds of customers...

Please advise, Nowtv.

Matthew1234567
Scholar 3

I had been effected by various streaming issues for months until i had enough and returned as the Now tv box was still under warranty, replaced it with the Now TV stick and, so far no issues.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also getting this, seems it's prob a ruse to get people to buy the new smart box? Either that or now tv customer service is so useless that they can't even be bothered to tell people what is happing, not very good when people are paying for a service

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had the same problem and NOW TV support is rubbish, they just blame it on the internet provider.

I explained in the chat that I could steam amazon tv perfectly and the chat reply was that it have nothing to do with now tv as the stream from amazon didnt need as much speed.

If thats the case I might drop NOW TV and keep the amazon!!  I also told them all my other streaming TV was fine but that didnt stop the chat assistant blaming the internet provider again.

I got so fed up I just left the chat.

Matthew1234567
Scholar 3

I contacted live chat a couple of times and found although they were fine for basic account queries, anything technical related they would just answer like they were reading from a script, assuming the customer has no common sence, technical knowledge and using slow download speeds as an excuse (from a test that was supposedly done their end) and not realising/admitting certian issues may not be directly related to the customers end.