cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Losing Broadband every time NowTV box switched on

I bought this little black box on Saturday. It worked first time and used it to watch the Golf Open final day at Troon from early on the Sunday.

At about 4pm, the picture, etc. froze. I checked my router and it had lost broadband. I switched the router off and back on again. I got the programme running again. This happened twice more until the Golf Open finished around 7:30pm.

My wife and I then switched to our FreeSat box and were unaware of any other broadband problems Sunday evening.

When we switched our TV and Black boxes on again Monday afternoon, we lost the broadband very quickly and I rang BT technical help who could find nothing wrong. Eventually, everything settled down and started working again. This procedure happened again this morning (Tuesday), and I again rang BT Technical Support who now said there might be a fault on the line!

However, I have discovered (by experimenting) that I can cause my broadband to "drop out" any time just by switching the little NowTV black box on.

Some technical stuff: I have BT Infinity 1 via a BT Home Hub 5. My PC, a NAS box and Power Line Adapter are connected to the Hub. The NowTV black box, a Humax FreeSat box and my wife's PC are connected to other Power Line Adapters by LAN cables. Not forgetting a couple of mobile phones and a Kindle Fire HD connetced via wi-fi.

If there's no solution to this problem, I shall be returning the NowTV black box to Tesco for a refund.

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Try switching off the smart set up feature on the BT HomeHub (see link how to disable smart setup).

Whilst in the smart setup menu also press the Network Refresh button. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-home-hub-4-or-hub-5

If you get no success with the above, also try the 5ghz wifi band setting on your router with your nowtv box, also is it practicaly possible in your home environment to wire an Ethernet cable between your Router and nowtv box.

Edit - Ignore last paragraph above just noticed that the nowtv box is wired by Lan powerline plugs.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you are using powerline Lan adaptors with your nowtv box etc have you reset them at both ends ?

I remember somebody on here had a problem with their internet in the house and a reset on their power line adpators fixed the problem.

Worth a try.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip of turning off the Smart Set Up feature in the BT Home Hub 5. I've turned it off (thought I already had, albeit some time ago).

I've reconnected the NowTV Black box without any adverse affect on my broadband. I've done it twice: the first time to just power it up; the second time after switching off all TV devices, at the wall, and then on again as a normal TV switch on.

Not tried resetting the Powerline Adapters yet as that will involve switching everything off, as if going on holiday! I'll reserve it for the next solution attempt - if the problem recurs.

I will keep my fingers crossed for future power ups!

Many thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Again

I suspect all the information above is not right! The hub has been freezing quite regularly even with the NowTV black box unplugged (no power).

SO, I moved on to the next suggestion, powered everything down - BT Home Hub 5, NAS box, Powerline Adapters, etc. and left everything for about 10 minutes. I then started powering things up slowly:

1. Powerline Adapter connected to the Home Hub (can't switch anything else on without this as it has "pass through" functionality.)

2. Home Hub.

3. NAS Box (wait whilst it sorts itself out.)

4. PC.

5. TV FreeSat box (but not NowTV box)

I then left things for an hour or two - everything still working.

I then disconnect the FreeSat box from its Powerline Adapter (this has two LAN ports) and powered up the NowTV box (connected to same Powerline Adapter.)  Waited a bit and then started viewing BBC iPlayer. Everything working well.

This has been the case for about three hours now, but I'm not holding my breath!

I've also got BT Tech Support on the case - reporting back Thursday evening between 5pm and 7pm - as the lady suspects a problem on the telephone line???

Watch this space!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK. BT Home Hub 5 down again. Nothing has fixed the problem. Awaiting BT Tech Support!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Bit of a long shot but might be worth switching off yor router at the mains for 30s or so.  This can often solve a lot of issues.

Hope this helps

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sounds like something that BT needs to sort out at their end, if BT are happy that your in coming broadband line is fine, perhaps ask BT for a replacement router to see if that is causing the loss of  your internet connection ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turned out to be a fault in the fibre adapter in the internal (house) telephone socket. Fixed by an Openreach engineer and had no problems since.

Thanks for all your help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's nothing to do with your line, I don't have a box I have the app and over the course of 2 days the internet only cuts out when I use now tv it's ****.