cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is the USB port powered?

Is the USB port on the black NowTV box powered and follows the full USB specification so I cound use it to power a new Chromecast 2?

11 REPLIES 11
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Is the USB port on the black NowTV box powered and follows the full USB specification so I cound use it to power a new Chromecast 2?

HI @Anonymous User

No I do not believe the USB port is powered. it is only really meant to have USB flash drives connected too it. Not stuff that would require upto 2 amps.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think a Chromecast 2 comes with a 1A charger and as far as I can remember USB 2 can give up to 0.9A.

I was asking for exactly the reason you say but external media could be a self powers USB drive and I have had one of those for a few years now so they are nothing new. But on the other hand it is very easy for the manual (might need to check the actual Roku site) to say "flash drives only, no USB HDD"

My TV has USB sockets but they night only be powered when the telly is on and my FreeView PVR has USB but on the front under a panel so dont really want a wire and Chromecast hanging off that.

Don't have the Chromecast yet,  just getting options incase I need to move about or get a new extension lead.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I power my Chromecast via the USB port on the TV. Yes it's only powered when the TV is on, but then when it's off, I'm not using the Chromecast anyway. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

For using the TV USB, if its not obvious you need to wait for the Chromecast to boot up and connect to the Wi-Fi every time the TV it switched on, not a big deal, just one of those things that if it is slow it is anoying.

Another reason it would be useful is I am using a switcher box as I dont have enough HDMI sockets so it would mean the Chromacast, NowTV and switch box are so close together everything can be connected with really short cables to keep the mess down.

3 games consoles,  Freeview PVR, NowTV and the laptop plugged into the TV occasionaly does mean quite a few wires - HDMI and power ones 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB2 only has to supply 500mA...

High power Charging Circuits are not Standard USB 2.0 and should be indicated with a lightning bolt to show they supply more than the Default 500mA and are charging ports...

Now power chargers and adapters will supply MORE power than Standard USB2.

Charging ports are also Meant to be powered in standby mode... If the USB port turns off in standby its not a charging/Power port. just a normal USB port...

USB3.0 increased the power to 1Amp default power with again charging ports having the Lightning symbol...

USB3.0 Will work 100% to power Chromecasts...

USB2.0 IS not rated to power chromecasts... due to the lower 500mA max some USB 2.0 are... hence they give you a Power adapter... 

Most of the Wifi connection issues were due to USB2.0 low power 500mA usage and NOT using the HDMI extension...

HDMI extension is now FORCED on Chromecast 1.5 fixing issues...

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

USB2 only has to supply 500mA...

High power Charging Circuits are not Standard USB 2.0 and should be indicated with a lightning bolt to show they supply more than the Default 500mA and are charging ports...

Now power chargers and adapters will supply MORE power than Standard USB2.

Charging ports are also Meant to be powered in standby mode... If the USB port turns off in standby its not a charging/Power port. just a normal USB port...

Thanks for clearing that up @Anonymous User Smiley Happy

I knew standard USB 2 ports provided less than charging ports, but I wasn't sure how much less. The charging ports/adapters were what I was thinking of when I mentioned kit up to 2A. My AV receiver has a charging port on the front of it. It is marked 5V 2.1A

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Once you get a USB display power meter you find out that very few USB cables will allow the full 500mA any way and 1Amp USB devices only take ~900 mA when charging as the USB cable causes resistance in the circuits... putting more power over USB cables results in Bigger resistance from the USB wires... resulting higher cost charger required...  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

similar question , i was wanting to use a wireless earphone set and insert the dongle receiver in the usb port on box ? as it wont work using usb ports on TV .

Legend 5
Legend 5

I doubt that would work as is since the USB appears to be primarily for input. I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers of TVs and other devices with USB ports have really considered the potential uses, such as here on wireless speakers.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.