cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Installed Netgear Orbi/DM200 now BBC iPlayer won't work on NowTV

Had working NowTV black box - fine with, variously, PlusNet, BT and Sky modem/routers wired and wireless.

After a house move, I've just put in a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi plus a DM200 modem (set to modem only/bridge mode) and found iPlayer won't work (loads then goes black).

Updated settings - no change. Remove and reinstall iPlayer app - failed to uninstall.

Thought I'd do a complete factory reset to clear out any old data. The box failed to reinstall its own software and apps - reporting a -4 failure to load error. Seemed to be related to a poor or failed connection. Odd as I have 77 mbps fibre and very strong wifi.

As a test, I turned on the wifi hot spot on my phone and changed the NowTV box connection to this. The reset went through immediately, all apps reloaded and iPlayer ran fine.

Switched the connection back to the Netgear - iPlayer failed (though strangely it's only this app that has a problem - All4, ITV player etc work OK).

I raised this in the Netgear support forums - they assure me it's a problem with the NowTV box - well, they would, wouldn't they! For my part, when troubleshooting, I look at what's changed or is different - in this case it's the Netgear kit!

It's so annoying because we don't currently have our Freesat kit working so this is the only way to do catchup at the moment! I know it's only a £15 box compared to a few hundred for the Orbi but it would be great to know why it's misbehaving.

If I can't solve, I'll probably chuck it out and find another option - put a Chromecast on teh kitchen TV but my other half really prefers her own 'real' remote control!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Chris

No intended disinformation - my starting point was that, as the NowTV box worked fine via mobile hot spot and doesn't via the Netgear, the Netgear was the root cause (whatever Netgear say!).

I have tried 10.0 and 192.168 as default IP ranges, as someone suggested possible the NowTV box didn't like a 10.0 range - the two have not been co-existing.

I have updated the NG firmware and about to try this switchover of the DM200 to regular modem/router mode and the Orbi to Access point mode (see above).

No, Orbi isn't creating a second network, mesh or otherwise as the modem is set to bridge mode, making the Orbi the DHCP/NAT source. Following the NG recommendation reverses this relationship - DM200 will be DHCP/NAT and Orbi provide wifi. So no double-NATs.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Had working NowTV black box - fine with, variously, PlusNet, BT and Sky modem/routers wired and wireless.

After a house move, I've just put in a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi plus a DM200 modem (set to modem only/bridge mode) and found iPlayer won't work (loads then goes black).

Updated settings - no change. Remove and reinstall iPlayer app - failed to uninstall.

Thought I'd do a complete factory reset to clear out any old data. The box failed to reinstall its own software and apps - reporting a -4 failure to load error. Seemed to be related to a poor or failed connection. Odd as I have 77 mbps fibre and very strong wifi.

As a test, I turned on the wifi hot spot on my phone and changed the NowTV box connection to this. The reset went through immediately, all apps reloaded and iPlayer ran fine.

Switched the connection back to the Netgear - iPlayer failed (though strangely it's only this app that has a problem - All4, ITV player etc work OK).

I raised this in the Netgear support forums - they assure me it's a problem with the NowTV box - well, they would, wouldn't they! For my part, when troubleshooting, I look at what's changed or is different - in this case it's the Netgear kit!

It's so annoying because we don't currently have our Freesat kit working so this is the only way to do catchup at the moment! I know it's only a £15 box compared to a few hundred for the Orbi but it would be great to know why it's misbehaving.

If I can't solve, I'll probably chuck it out and find another option - put a Chromecast on teh kitchen TV but my other half really prefers her own 'real' remote control!

I'm just having a look around the internet using a few keywords @Anonymous User and have found your thread regarding it being a netgear issue and they we're very skeptical it seems haha. I'm just trying to get my head around it being iPlayer only at this point. I wonder if it has to do with the embedded security with TV licenses and confliting IP addresses. I wonder if its a wider issue than it seems. Could other networking manufcaturers have the same problem when it comes to iPlayer. I'm gonna have a look around and see what i can find, although i've never came across this issue before im sure someone has.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm just having a look around the internet using a few keywords @Anonymous User and have found your thread regarding it being a netgear issue and they we're very skeptical it seems haha. I'm just trying to get my head around it being iPlayer only at this point. I wonder if it has to do with the embedded security with TV licenses and confliting IP addresses. I wonder if its a wider issue than it seems. Could other networking manufcaturers have the same problem when it comes to iPlayer. I'm gonna have a look around and see what i can find, although i've never came across this issue before im sure someone has.

Hi Tony - Thanks for picking this up - and sniffing around to find my threat at NG!  

Yes, I was puzzled too at why it only seems to be iPlayer that is resisting the change. That was one reason I uninstalled and reinstalled, then reset the box to factory settings - iPlayer did then require me to reset my account credentials to the box. I was planning also to log the same story on the iPlayer Help pages but had difficulty locating where to post!

IP addresses - everything else has used 192.168 ranges on the local network. The Orbi mesh uses the 10.0 range. Is it possible that's an issue? I'd be surprised if iPlayer was so locked down but you never know... Suppose I could change it's default range to see...

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi Tony - Thanks for picking this up - and sniffing around to find my threat at NG!  

Yes, I was puzzled too at why it only seems to be iPlayer that is resisting the change. That was one reason I uninstalled and reinstalled, then reset the box to factory settings - iPlayer did then require me to reset my account credentials to the box. I was planning also to log the same story on the iPlayer Help pages but had difficulty locating where to post!

IP addresses - everything else has used 192.168 ranges on the local network. The Orbi mesh uses the 10.0 range. Is it possible that's an issue? I'd be surprised if iPlayer was so locked down but you never know... Suppose I could change it's default range to see...

It must be a rare issue as all i did was type 'iPlayer issue Netgear Mesh' and it was the first result. I would try using the default range anyway and see what happens. At least we can rule that out if no resolve is found. I doubt that it will help but you never know.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

It must be a rare issue as all i did was type 'iPlayer issue Netgear Mesh' and it was the first result. I would try using the default range anyway and see what happens. At least we can rule that out if no resolve is found. I doubt that it will help but you never know.

@Anonymous User Any luck with this yet or are we back to square one eh?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi - just changed the router to default to 192.168.0 subnet. No, made no difference. Couldnt remove BBC iPlayer. Couldn't run it. 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi - just changed the router to default to 192.168.0 subnet. No, made no difference. Couldnt remove BBC iPlayer. Couldn't run it. 

Wasn't too hopeful on that myself @Anonymous User Must be something doing it. I'm putting it down to the Netgear equipment. But not a direct issue with the hardware, just whatever protocols or settings they have implemented to the hardware. You have any other ideas on what it could be? There's no VPN i take it yeah?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Wasn't too hopeful on that myself @Anonymous User Must be something doing it. I'm putting it down to the Netgear equipment. But not a direct issue with the hardware, just whatever protocols or settings they have implemented to the hardware. You have any other ideas on what it could be? There's no VPN i take it yeah?

Hi Tony

No VPN. My thoughts too were a NG setting somewhere that's different from the other modems/routers. No idea what they may be as there are sooo many and I was never a comms/networking expert! I have also now logged the problem at BBC iPlayer support.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi Tony

No VPN. My thoughts too were a NG setting somewhere that's different from the other modems/routers. No idea what they may be as there are sooo many and I was never a comms/networking expert! I have also now logged the problem at BBC iPlayer support.

Can you let me know what they say as i might go for the same set up you currently have. Tell me this though, have you tried playing iPlayer via your phone on the same wifi network? @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you let me know what they say as i might go for the same set up you currently have. Tell me this though, have you tried playing iPlayer via your phone on the same wifi network? @Anonymous User

Sure will! iPlayer works fine playing on iPhone. In fact, streaming (from anything - watched a concert from Cologne last night) from iPhone to Apple TV box on one TV or ChromeCast dongle on another work beautifully. The only reason we're using NowTV box at the moment is that we don't have either our satellite or Freesat BDR connected while we try to find a dish installer around here!