cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to NOW TV Box (Black) display 4:3 Aspect Ratio on Standard Definition (not HD or Widescreen) TV?

Hello,

I have a brand new NOW TV Box (Black)  Model No:  4200SK - Roku 3, running software version 6.2 build 5109

I have a SDTV (Standard Definition TV, not HD).  The Aspect Ratio of my TV is 4:3 - NOT Widescreen.  I do not have a HDMI port.

My NOW TV Box is connected via HDMI cable to a HDMI to Composite Converter box, which then connects to my TV via the 3 composite plugs cable (Yellow, Red and White).

I am having problems with the aspect ratio on my TV, when playing NOW TV Box Sets Series and Movies, the picture appears squished in from the sides, people appear very tall and thin.  I have tried changing the settings from the Home Screen (Settings -> Display Type), I only have two options in this menu, 720p and 1080p, both of which are for HDTV's, mine is not a HDTV.  Is there any way to get the NOW TV Box to give me the options of changing to 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio?  Or a kind of letterbox setting?  My TV is a standard definition TV with no options to change aspect ratio, it is only a square 4:3, not a widescreen television.

Please can you help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User unfortuntatly not. The box expects the other end of the HDMI to be widescreen. You might have better luck picking up one of the older white boxes, these support 4:3 screens via AV cables.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User unfortuntatly not. The box expects the other end of the HDMI to be widescreen. You might have better luck picking up one of the older white boxes, these support 4:3 screens via AV cables.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User, Thank you for your quick reply.  It's disappointing I can't get my black NOW TV Box to display 4:3, but I am glad I can solve the problem with a White NOW TV Box and AV Cable, thank you so much for the links for these too.  I have ordered them now and hope to have them up and running soon.  If I can fix the aspect ratio, I'll be happy to continue using NOW TV, otherwise, it was a bit disappointing.  

Thanks again,

SunKat

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unplug hdmi cable then plug back in and it should recognise the feed. Usually happens when devices are turned off from source.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

That’s a nearly four-years old message, and @Anonymous User didn’t have an HDMI input.

Hopefully, though, the OP has gone LED since then.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.