cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilipB82
Mentor

HDMI error message

Hello

I am getting a HDMI error message displayed on my screen when I switch to NOW TV from other inputs. The message only stays for a split second then the NOW homepage loads. It never does it whilst watching content. I've tried the following... 

Changed cable

Unplugged cable, TV and NOW box

Tried cable in different HDMI ports

I don't know how you upload a picture as I'm posting from my phone for the time being.

Its a black screen with write writing. The error code it gives is 020. The top line reads 'To play this content, all HDMI connections must support High bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Then it gives you steps on unplugging the cable, turning everything off...etc which I've tried.

My Freeview box and DVD player is unaffected. 

What could this be? Faulty box?

Thanks

Philip

25 REPLIES 25
Matthew1234567
Scholar 3

I use a Samsung Q9FN  (flagship 4K model) and confirm i sometimes get this error message when viewing content from Roku streaming stick + whether or not it is 4K content.  Appears on screen randomly before disappearing and doesn't do this with any other device.  i have used 2 separate Roku's and each does the same and have changed the Roku settings to of no avail.  I'm wondering if it's down to the sub-par non-replaceable HDMI cable that comes with the unit as i can't believe it would be the TV as it's a recent flagship model.  Does anyone have any further ideas??

Matthew1234567
Scholar 3

Correction to the above.  The Streaming Stick+ connects directly to the HDMI Port, not via a separate cable, and gets it power connected via mains.  I'm now thinking, looking at the Roku forum, it's a firmware issue that only effects certain TV's?

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

Just a quick question about the stick....

Would the WiFi signal be negatively affected if it's plugged into a port behind the TV? However I do have a HDMI port at the side too.

Philip

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

I would say the side HDMI port on your television may work better, but try both and check the wifi signal reception on the stick by going into the stick menu settings under Network, then About.

Should the wifi signal be poor on both HDMI ports then maybe look at a small HDMI extender flylead to move the stick slightly away from the casing of the television.

If you can get away with Ethernet, then maybe consider a NowTV 4K Smart box when they are on sale for £25 (even though your television is HD) which has an Ethernet option for a more reliable stable streaming experience and in my opinion the wifi seems to work better on my setup with the NowTV 4K Smart Box compared to my NowTV stick.

Perhaps go with the stick which is cheaper and maybe buy the stick from a retailer which will give you a full refund if the stick wifi reception performance is poor where your television is located.

PS - Can't guarantee though that the HDCP message will not appear on your television with either the NowTV stick or the NowTV 4K box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have been getting error about hdmi for a few seconds i have now sticks 

only started after new software update .its that fast i only got i think hdp i think its black back ground with red letters can some one help me

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

I've been getting the same thing recently. I only use my NowTv stick for Disney and Prime now that I've cancelled all my NowTV packages due to the adverts and its mainly the Disney app with this error for me. I'm guessing it's due to the recent software update that's maybe too much for the older hardware. 

It mostly seems to just flash up for a second, mostly.

I had to unplug the other night though after the stick froze on that HDMI copy protection screen. Its been running slow since the the whole Now-minus-the-TV reskin so I've ordered myself a 4k Firestick while they are on sale. Maybe worth checking out the current Amazon device sale too.

RoyB
Legend

as the message only flashes up and then goes, it seems to me that maybe the Stick is a bit hairtrigger, or the TV is a bit slow.

Or both.

Basically, what’s happening is:-

Stick: Hello TV, can you handle HDCP 2,2?

TV: (Silence….)

Stick: So that’s a No, then, I’ll just put this message on the scre…..

TV: Yes.

Stick: OK then! Belay the message, let’s start this session!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Amiga1200
Scholar 2

I don't think its the TV. It's the same TV it's been plugged into all this time. I assume it's the sticks OS being too bloated now so it cant keep up with the copy protection.

My NowTv sticks days are numbered anyway. I'm replacing the Chromecast on my main TV with a 4K FireStick so I'll replace the NowTV stick with the Chromecast on my other TV and bin the rebranded Roku.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i think i will get fire stick to use it do you need to put in bank info 

to set up not to happy if you have to for to play app 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G32KYQ2NQA9YVGQW

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.