cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilipB82
Mentor

HDMI error message

Hello

I am getting a HDMI error message displayed on my screen when I switch to NOW TV from other inputs. The message only stays for a split second then the NOW homepage loads. It never does it whilst watching content. I've tried the following... 

Changed cable

Unplugged cable, TV and NOW box

Tried cable in different HDMI ports

I don't know how you upload a picture as I'm posting from my phone for the time being.

Its a black screen with write writing. The error code it gives is 020. The top line reads 'To play this content, all HDMI connections must support High bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Then it gives you steps on unplugging the cable, turning everything off...etc which I've tried.

My Freeview box and DVD player is unaffected. 

What could this be? Faulty box?

Thanks

Philip

25 REPLIES 25
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

Sounds like a HDCP 2.2 conflict between your Television & NowTV box.

I get the exact same problem between my Panasonic 4K TV and NowTV 4K smart box where i have reported this issue to the NowTV Support Team and i have tried everything that i can think of.

Doesn't happen on any other of my 4K playback devices that uses the HDCP 2.2 protocol.

If you are using a 4K TV make sure under the HDMI TV settings that you are using profile 2.2 and not HDMI profile 1.4 and if you are using a NowTV 4K Smart box under the Display settings if you are not interested in the Netflix 4K, YouTube 4K & BBC iPlayer 4K limited content, then see if the error message appears if you use profile 1.4 on the NowTV Box.

Also can you test the NowTV box on another television in your home ?

Out of curiosity what is the make & model number of your television and which version of the NowTV box are you using ? 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

Does it look like this photo which i struggled to take because for me the HDCP message was for a split second and random so it was difficult for me to take a photo hence the bad picture quality.

IMG_20190809_231033.jpg

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

I can try it on another TV.

My TV is an old unit, it's not 4K. It's Philips 42PFL5603D/10. NOW box model is 4200SK software version is 9.0.3 build 4070-10.

I'm not sure if I can change the HDMI profile but the NOW box display is 1080p HDCP 1.4.

Yes the message is very similar to yours but doesn't included the 2.2 bit.

Thanks 

Philip

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

HDCP 2.2 version relates to 4K televisions and 4K playback devices so ignore the bit about the 2.2 profile on either your Phillips HD television and black NowTV box.

Have you tried going into the nowtv box settings and change the Display output to 720p to see if that makes any difference even though looking at your Phillips TV specification it's a 1080p television ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

There is also a NowTV help article here about the HDCP message.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/purple-screen-no-picture-on-now-tv-box-stick 

PhilipB82
Mentor

Yes my TV supports 1080p but I still get the message even at 720p.

Just tried it on my daughters TV and it displayed the same message. 

I'll have a look at the link you sent. 

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

If the HDCP message is happening on two different televisions with two different HDMI cables then this points to a issue with the NowTV box.

Not sure what else to suggest apart from bin the box (if out of warranty or live with the annoying HDCP message for a split second).

You could try live chat (even if the box is out of warranty), where you may strike lucky and they will offer you a free replacement stick (very unlikely though, but if you don't ask you don't get).

Otherwise look at a replacement NowTV box or stick from an Authorised NowTV Retailer.

PS - Forgot to mention if you are going to bin or recycle the box go into the box settings under Advanced System Settings and Factory reset the box to remove all your account information from it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

Last resort you could try step 6 on the link below and if that fails try step 2 full factory reset and setup the box from scratch again (can't guarantee it will work, but worth a try).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box-stick 

PhilipB82
Mentor

I've reset my box twice before and I have the latest software. 

I also suspect the box is faulty. I have another issue with the picture occasionally going blurry/pixelated. I don't think it's my Internet connection as most of the time the signal is 'good' and speeds are ample. 

I have been thinking about replacing the box with a stick anyway but now might be the time 👍

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. 

Philip