cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled purple screen not working I've tried 3 HDMI cables

HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled purple screen not working I've tried 3 HDMI cables but it's still not working turned it off and on but it's no different please advise. Thank you.
284 REPLIES 284
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,
Can someone recommend a good quality 'Shielded' HDMI cable? and/or where to purchase? I am getting flashing purple screen with 'HDCP Unauthorised - Content Disabled'. Happened twice in 2 weeks and easily fixed with restart of NOW TV box (NOW TV2 Black Box). Anyone else have same issue and purchased 'shielded' HDMI cable which fixed issue? Many Thanks.

Legend 5
Legend 5
Was there not a lead in the box? I know mine came with one. I would say cheapest way to get new lead is to buy a new box.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi 4268

Polar135 believes his problem is being caused by magnetic or electrical interference, even though it is unlikely, that's why he is after a shielded HDMI cable. And although I cannot help him with a solution, other users in this forum have had the same problem but I don't ever remember their problem being resolved by shielded cables.

Also,  magnetic or electrical interference is not discriminatory because it would also affect other electrical equipment in his room (or home).  However, if this interference is only affecting his TV when his Now TV box is on then the problem is not interference.

Finally, an anecdote, I remember some years back while working in an office when I colleague from "Human Resources" dropped by but the moment he stepped into the office all the computers started to behave erratically.  I had heard of such people before, i.e. electrical equipment constantly going wrong in their presence, but I was skeptical until I saw it for myself.  At the time I had a laugh with this chap about how all the computers went wrong the moment he appeared but I stopped laughing the moment he left because all the computers started to work properly again (BTW, this chap does not work with or around computers).

UK Bob

Legend 5
Legend 5
Ah right, then I think 5ghz wireless or Ethernet would solve issue. I have my now box and Amazon boxes via 5ghz so don't get interference.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

The purple screen issue is a bit of a pain on occasions, but it shouldn't be happening very often. It's caused by a failure somewhere in the HDCP protocol which prevents protected content from being copied as the signals travel around your system. Whilst it could be caused by a faulty HDMI cable shielding itself probably won't stop it happening (although it might help you with other problems if electromagnetic interference is a particular issue in your setup), and the problem could equally be at the TV end, especially in older TVs.

I'd be tempted to try a few other things first when this problem happens. Even a perfect setup might get the purple screen issue once every now and then, but if it's happening pretty regularly try powering down TV and box, disconnecting the HDMI cable at both ends and connect it up again. This can help keep connections clean by dislodging dust and so forth. It's also possible HDCP might be failing at the port so you could try connecting the box to a different HDMI input on the TV.

Have a look at the following help page which explains what is happening

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Purple-screen-with-sound-NOW-TV-box

It's often a case of messing around with the HDMI cable and TV until it works .... I find just changing the input on the TV to freeview and back again sorts it, but you might need to take the HDMI cable out of the box and TV then plug it back again, turn TV off and on again, power down the box and back up again etc. until you find the 'magic cure'!

If you do suspect the cable might be faulty though and don't have any others to swap, I wouldn't go spending a lot of money on a replacement. I use AmazonBasics HDMI cables (just because I need extra long cables in my setup) and they are cheap, good quality and shielded, you can pick up a 3ft one for £4.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many Thanks for all responses.

I have researched HDMI & HDCP and checked out links provided in responses (thankyou). My TV is quite old (Sony Bravia KDL-32u4000) but is HDCP compliant. I have a wired connection to NOW TV box so thinking wi-fi not an issue but maybe I should move router (it is situated behind TV). Unfortunately I don't have another big HDTV to try. Only other equipment used with TV is Humax HD-FOX T2 freeview box (no issues), old Sky box used for Freesat (no issues), old Dvd/Vcr combo (no issues) and Wii console (again no issues).

I am going to try some of your suggestions including different HDMI port on TV, unplugging and reconnecting HDMI cables, factory reset of TV...

The next time it happens I will try changing TV to freeview and back again and/or if problem still exists restarting TV without restart of NOW TV box...thinking to try to prove TV at fault.

Also thinking maybe getting HDCP compliant HDMI splitter . I read this elimates HDCP issue esp. used on older TV's which are not HDCP compliant.

Funny, I never had this issue with my other NOW TV box (NOW TV 1 box - white) using Wi-fi. Again Thanks for help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm currently having the same problem, disconnecting the box didn't help, resetting it multiple times didn't help. Really quite frustrating if you ask me.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
I'm currently having the same problem, disconnecting the box didn't help, resetting it multiple times didn't help. Really quite frustrating if you ask me.

What make and model of television do you have?

Are you seeing a 'purple' picture all the time or is it only when you're playing Now TV content?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I might add there is nothing else connected to my TV, only the Ariel.
ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

First, I don't own a black Now TV box and so not experiencing this HDCP protocol problem you are all having.

Second, owners of both black and white boxes, such as @Amalia, have made it clear that regardless of which TV they are using the problem only occurs with the black box.

And third, Roku users are having the same problem.

Although my idea is not based on hard evidence, I believe the main differences between the black and white Now TV boxes (Roku's included) is the operating system (O/S), i.e. the white box O/S is based on Roku Lite's while the Black box will be based on Roku's new O/S. 

It is possible that something within the new O/S is making the HDCP protocol more aggressive and so easily triggered.

Therefore, it's unlikely users or their equipment are at fault, but something fundamental to the new black boxes and how they work.

UK Bob