cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HD Boost

Just wondered if anyone's tried this? Assume it's supposed to be at least 1080i?

I can't really see a difference to what I had which was maybe 720p? on the Sky channels tagged 'HD' after the boost was applied.

I've got 75M fibre downstream and have an ethernet cable run between my router and Now TV box.

4k and HDR work ok with Netflix.

20 REPLIES 20
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps @Anonymous User 

For me personally when watching Now TV with the HD boost, I have noticed a much sharper picture. 

This was even noticed by the Mrs who even said the picture was better. 

We use our Samsung TV with the Now TV, having been a subscriber for 5 years I can safely say that the picture quality is better with the HD boost. 

What I did notice and made me realise how good the picture was, after taking a free trial of Sky Spain (aka Spanish Now TV) thanks to my parents living in Spain, who only output at 720p we noticed and even the Mrs was saying whats with the picture quality. It just wasn't as crisp or sharp. 

It will be interesting to see whether Sky UK will follow Italy and Austria in launching Sky without dish and available on Smart TVs. Where would that leave Now TV?

This is a quick copy and paste from a translated Sky Austria for Sky X

What devices can I use to view Sky X?

You can stream with a variety of devices, such as tablets, smart TVs, smartphones, PC / laptops or PS4 . If you don't have a Smart TV, you can look over the small, clever Sky X streaming box - find out in the device overview which devices are compatible with Sky X.

How and what can I stream with Sky X?

Sky X gives you the complete TV experience through the combination of linear channels and on demand . You have the choice: do you want to watch your films and series in a linear program or on demand at any time?

With Fiction & Live TV and Kombi & Live TV you can stream over 1000 films and the best series on demand , wherever and whenever you want.
Sport & Live TV gives you 100% live sports on our premium channels . And you always get 19 public and private channels .

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm a bit of a home cinema enthusiast and can honestly say on mine its no different, every other service i have is miles better. I have a samsung TV upstairs in our bedroom, will take a little peak at that one tonight.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Contrast and Colours look perfectly fine and acceptable to me on the NowTV streaming service on both my television and projector screen (though i don't like an over saturated popping off the screen colour palette such has lime green football pitches for example and much prefer a more life like natural look).

Never had Sky Satellite to compare against but was a long time BT TV HD customer in the past and i am quite happy saving a few quid using NowTV which is sufficient for my needs.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I actually have BT TV aswell lol, dont ask, now TV nowhere near any of them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We definitely notice the difference in Boost PQ on our 75" screen, but can't really tell on a 40" TV in the kitchen.  On the larger TV it was always a soft picture - now much crisper. Also the 5.1 sound makes a big difference on movies.

I noticed on vodzilla a note saying the Harry Potter films were in UHD on now tv boost but assume that was a mistake and I can't find any other reference.  I did check on our 4k Samsung tv built in now tv app and it showed as HD, we have got a 4k roku in another room but haven't checked that yet

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there, yesterday Now TV was rolled out to BT/Plusnet boxes so I tested on that lastnight.

Sky sports news still has the frame rate issue, I'm guessing that channel hasnt been fixed regards to framerate.

I then watched the new pope, picture was decent, not as good as sky but def decent. The only issue I had last night was towards the end it started buffering alot but I think thats a one off.

I'm trying to ditch sky but need to make sure I'd be happy with picture quality, it really is borderline, at times it looks good and others it looks a bit rough. The sound was very good, sound was actually better than my Sky HD box.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

From my understanding only 3 channels are at 50fps, the premiership, main event and now F1. Even then that’s not on all devices as LG hasn’t been “supported”.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Further to what @schnapps  said, how big is your screen, and how far away from it do you sit?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its def an improvement on the sport channels and cinema as to entertainment not got that so cant say. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a 40" 4k TV. 

Sitting about 2 metres away.