cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myke35
Scholar

HD Boost

Just wondered if anyone's tried this? Assume it's supposed to be at least 1080i?

I can't really see a difference to what I had which was maybe 720p? on the Sky channels tagged 'HD' after the boost was applied.

I've got 75M fibre downstream and have an ethernet cable run between my router and Now TV box.

4k and HDR work ok with Netflix.

Labels (1)
20 Replies
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: HD Boost

Hi @myke35 

To me the picture difference between 720p bumped up to 1080p is only marginal when watching on a TV screen say up to 50 inches (depending on viewing distance).

where the increase in picture resolution is more noticeable (i.e. sharper looking picture with less artefacts when watching on a much larger television screen).

Where the Boost Pass comes into play in my opinion is 50fps playback on the Sky Sports Main Event & Sky Sports Premier League channels and glorious 5.1 surround sound.

From my testing on my home cinema projector and 5.1 system the sound quality of the Boost Pass is more impressive than the picture quality.

Just hope that NowTV can get the 50fps playback implemented on the rest of the Sky Sports channels.

0 Thanks
RoyB
Legend 5
Legend 5

@myke35 

Further to what @schnapps  said, how big is your screen, and how far away from it do you sit?

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’ on it
(As long as you started the thread, and haven’t already accepted an answer)
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’ (the thumbs-up icon)
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
Techuser_73
Scholar 3

Its def an improvement on the sport channels and cinema as to entertainment not got that so cant say. 

0 Thanks
myke35
Scholar

I have a 40" 4k TV. 

Sitting about 2 metres away.

0 Thanks
myke35
Scholar

Is there any way to find out what the box is outputting?  I can't tell from my TV as the box is up scaling everything to 4k.

RoyB
Legend 5
Legend 5

@myke35 

HD should be about 50% better than 720p, but both are being upscaled (HD by a factor of 4, 720p by a factor of 6)  onto your fairly small (nowadays!) 4K TV.

I think you would have to get up pretty close to see any discernible difference.

If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
Mallett94
Scholar

I would set your NowTV Box to 1080p. It is highly likely that your TV will be better at upscaling sub4k content to 4K than the cheap now tv box hardware.

If you want to access 4k netflix/prime/youtube I would advocate using the native apps on the tv.

RoyB
Legend 5
Legend 5

@myke35 

Info on the box? 

But if you pause the programme, you should be able to see the info on the screen as to whether HD and 5.1 are available, in small white on black icons. 

Doesn’t prove you are getting these things, though, just that they are available.

0 Thanks
myke35
Scholar

Just wondered if you could see on-screen what the box is streaming and sends to the TV before the TV upscales it to 4k eg. 720p, 1080i, 1080p, FPS.

As you mention the details in the programme info panel just say what the programme should be rather than what you're actually getting.