cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Getting the box to power off

Hi all 

Really impressed with the new box - however am really disapointed that in todays day and age we can't turn it off completely via remote or with a switch on the box.  

Pls can you add one to a future version as being green is important to a lot of people.  Standby mode just wastes electricity unnecessarily.

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

The little NOW TV 'black' box actually consumes very little power. Indeed I run mine from one of my televisions (5v 500mA) USB ports (using an old external 2.5" HDD USB power lead).

Which also means that whenever I turn off my TV, the NOW TV box turns off as well 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

unplug it---------------------JOB DONE ECO MAN

Anonymous User
Not applicable

back at yah,

unplug it i totally agree.

too many devices are so called standby these days.

not with me i always go old school, switch it off at the plug and then unplug it. If im not using it, its unplugged.

im not leaving things plugged on standby all over the house.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agree 100%. Not having an option to power off the NowTV box is really frustrating and it’s an issue that has been raised numerous times on this forum. I really wish NowTV could just give us an option to power off the unit. It really can’t be that difficult.

I don’t have enough available HDMI ports on my TV so I run some of them through a passive HDMI switch i.e., one that switches to the signal that is currently active. I’m unable to use it with the NowTV box however as I’m unable to switch the damn thing off!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I totally agree with the off switch idea as i have a black box that makes a habit of not turning off when the TV is switched off or the channel is changed, you may think that this is not a problem but it is if you watch nowtv on three different devices, i watch it on my PC and my son watches it on the TV or his xbox in his room.

if the black box does not turn off and he has his xbox on i cannot watch it on my PC as it says i have exceeded my device limit, and for the record pulling the power plug does not help as the black box does not then register on the system as shut down the only way i have found to disconnect it from the system is to pull the cat5 cable and then the power cord.

im sure it would not be that hard to put a off button on the remote.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The error message isn't due to your box not powering down.

If it's the exceeds simultaneous streams limit that's because you can only watch on 2 devices at the same time. If you've finished watching one it can take up to 10 mins for the system to update. If it's taking longer than that make sure you exit streams gracefully with the back button when you've finished watching, rather than pressing the home button to quit straight to the homescreen.

If it's you've reached your device limit message then have a word with live chat who should be able to sort you out an extra device swap, and then be careful not to delete and add devices too often on your device list.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree with everyone else, not having a on and off button is stupid.

who keeps coming up with these waste of time idea,s.

This really is a dumb move by a so called business, it really is silly. I never leave anything in standbye, i always have and will always switch it off and unplug it. Yeh im old school so what, at least im saving on my electric bills. Ask your self how many devices do you leave plugged in over night ?????

Excactly you should not, just switch it off and unplug it. Some so called modern day devices are overly complicated and silly and pointless.

Im still gonna unplug, but i still want a button on the remote to turn off fully. Ill find a way in time. Im not leaving it on plugged in all the time.

not gonna happen, save money don,t throw it away guys.