cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Free to air channels

Please help. Have just done a house move, about 1/2 mile down the road. Black box worked fine at old address but now won't pick up free to air channels. 

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I take it this is the original Smart Box, with the TV aerial input, and you have made the TV aerial cable connection to it?

So you need to ensure you have a working TV aerial at your new address; try plugging the aerial lead directly into your TV, retuning it, and seeing if it works or not.

In our new house, there were TV points wired into every room, and cabling to the loft, but nothing on the end of the cables, so we had to get a loft aerial and distribution box installed by a local aerial fitter. This is the usual arrangement these days, saving the price of the aerial in a house where the customer is going to have satellite instead.

So if there is no aerial in your new home, you will have to do the same.

But if the aerial works fine on the TV, plug it back into the NowTV box and retune it, see if the FTA channels come back. Even half a mile can make a difference here, though I normally would not expect it to lose every channel, so I think this will be the aerial issue, as above.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
  • Hi. Tv works fine with aerial plugged in it. My nephew set it up with the coaxial cable from the tv into the box. I was just wondering if I plugged the cable from the main socket straight into the box
RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

Such are the consequences of nepotism! (literally, ‘employing a nephew’) 😛

Yes, the aerial cable needs to go from the wall socket to the input on the back of the NowTV box.

Then it will all work, but you will need to keep the NowTV box on, and watch the Freeview channel via that.

If you don’t want to use the TV Freeview tuner independently, this is fine, and all you need do.

But if you do want to use the TV Freeview tuner independently, then you will need a Y-shaped aerial splitter at the wall, and run one aerial cable out of it to the NowTV box, and another aerial cable out of it to the TV. This will halve the signal to each device though, so the signal needs to be strong enough to allow this.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much. I feel a bit of a twit not realising sooner, but he set it up at my other address so I thought it was right how he did it. Thank you again for your help

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You’re welcome.

And if you can Accept my second posting above as a solution, it will help other with the same or a similar problem in the future to be guided to an answer.