cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Forthcoming New NOWTV Box

In addition to having the Freeview option, what other new features will it have? Will it be a standalone unit, or will it plug into my existing black NOWTV Box?

Thanks

Geoff

Scarborough.

16 REPLIES 16
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

It'll be a standalone unit, basically combining a freeview box (for which you'll need to plug in an aerial) and a NOW TV box (so it will connect to the Internet to access the current apps you get on a NOW TV box). 

However there's not been much more said about it, so any other speculation on features, price etc are just that.

If you haven't already there is a registration open for a trial of the new box, Slough it's been open a while so I'm not sure what your chances will be.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/Test-the-NOW-TV-Smart-Box/m-p/358612#M3013

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can any of the Now TV team tell us when we will find out if we have been successful for the beta trial?

Also, does the new box have the ability to record or is it just a tuner? I am keen to replace my Youview box with another box that actually lets me view my Now TV entertaiment pass but without a record function, it would probably not do the job. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

@Anonymous User wrote:

Also, does the new box have the ability to record or is it just a tuner? I am keen to replace my Youview box with another box that actually lets me view my Now TV entertaiment pass but without a record function, it would probably not do the job. 

My guess would be not, they are probably looking for a product that would allow Sky Broadband to compete with the ' 3-in1 package deals' of TV, phone and broadband that TalkTalk, BT etc. have. So I would imagine like the YouView box it would not have recording ability.

However, we'll only really find out either once the trial gets underway (although those chosen will be under NDA not to discuss anything publicly) or NOW TV release details of the box themselves. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I struggle to see a market for the box without a recording facility.

It would be inferior to Youview without this and everyone with a TV already has a built in tuner. The only benefit would be not having to switch inputs...

TBH I wouldn't have an issue with a non-pvr box, if only there were a way to track my shows across all major PSB's without having to go into each of the apps to see if there are new episodes available. Unfortunately that is a pipe dream for now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That said, if SKy could integrage ROKU's universal search that would be a good start. Universal search is already available on Youview and is supposed to be coming to Freeview play so the PSB's are obviously willing to support these services. 

BicBasher
Elite

I rarely use my old PVR these days.  I use the catch up services instead.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.

We do about 50-50 - record stuff that's on Freeview channels (on a YouView PVR) and stream stuff (that we used to watch on Sky!) and sometimes Sports & Movies from NOW TV. We also use Netflix on a regular basis, YouTube for a couple of things every week and have also streamed from Amazon Video in the past. Thanks to a recent 50% off voucher, we even bought something (obscure) from BBC Store and will be streaming that soon. If you've got a decent broadband connection, I reckon streaming is the way to go in the longer term.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

streaming is our pref at home now, dont have to worry about disc space or a box full of watched recordings the kids and missus havnt been deleting

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all

When it comes to things that were available on free to air TV . I prefer to use recordings to catch up rather than the catch up services. Because the only catch-up service, which provides a decent video quality is the BBC. The only service that might get anywhere close to the BBC iPlayer is my five (previously known as demand five). The rest of the quality isn't very good, especially Channel 4 the catch up video quality can sometimes be dismal.

For this reason, I prefer to record that HD channels where possible, so that I can catch up decent video quality and I would imagine that quite a lot of people will feel the same way until the catch up services get their act together and provide decent video quality

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.