cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilipB82
Mentor

Faulty Now TV box?

Hello

My black now TV box occasionally loses connection. The screen goes blank then says something like 'Internet connection lost' with 2 options to check settings or setup connection. The box is connected via WiFi but through a dual band WiFi extender. I'm pretty sure it happened before I had the extender. It's connected using 5ghz and speeds at least 30mbps. My Freeview Play box is also connected via the WiFi extender now but has never just randomly lost connection, even when connected directly to router. So does this sound like a fault with the NOW box rather than the router or extender? Is there a definite way to tell where the problem lies - router, extender or device?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Philip 

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

Have you tried your wifi extender and nowtv box over 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz to see if it makes a difference ?

Also perhaps go through these trouble shooting steps on your nowtv box.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box-stick 

Ideally if practically possible a hard wired Ethernet connection would always be my recommendation over wifi giving a more stable / reliable connection for your internet devices (though i appreciate this is not always possible or feasible).

If you can't  temporary test the nowtv box closer to your Router without the use of the wifi extender.

Then could you test the nowtv box on a friend's or family members home network and TV to see if the same thing is happening in their environment or is this not an option ?

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

Thanks for your advice, I'll try it on 2.4ghz. Also I may either test my box elsewhere or just buy a stick!

Another technical question.... Whats better - an 'excellent' signal strength but with say 35mbps or 'good' with say 45mbps?

My extender is constantly giving an 'excellent' signal but seems slightly slower. My router strength is usually 'good' but sometimes 'fair' but speeds could be as low as 1 to 50mbps.

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnappsHello again! I think it's the 5ghz band that is dropping from my extender. It has happened twice in the space of 20 minutes this morning whilst watching football. Everytime its happened its been using the 5ghz band. My Freeview Play box only uses 2.4ghz and that restarts itself if the connection drops. As soon as the now box connection dropped my Freeview box was OK. So now I've switched my extender to 'high speed' mode which has disabled the 5ghz band and is now only using 2.4ghz band. According to a speed test, it's currently running at 42mbps.

I'll see what happens now 👍

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

Will keep my fingers crossed for you 🙏.

With regards to using NowTV they recommend only 2.5 Mbps and if your box is showing either a Good or Excellent reception than this should be fine, though if you are encountering WiFi drop outs or temporary loss of internet this will either cause buffering, page loading or an error message saying that you have lost the internet connection.