cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Eye Strain/Pain from Roku Box and Samsung TV

After getting a Now TV Roku box and suubscription earlier in the year, I was really disappointed to find that after ten minutes or so of watching my eyes felt really strained and if I was to watch say 90mins, I would get a bad headache and very painful muscles around the eyes that would last for days.

I tried all the troubleshooting as recommended, i.e. changing samsung smart tv settings and adaptive picture settings, but still the same problem. So I could only finish my 3 month subscriptions on my laptop and phone.

I've accepted now that the roku box and samsung tv just aren't compatible, it even had a similar problem on my second logik TV, so I will sell the box or pass it on.

Now I am thinking of getting the Roku stick but want to be assured that the same thing doesn't happen again because I can't afford to do damage to my eyes (which I think it did before). NOW TV support tell me that it will be fine but I am just not sure.

Otherwise I may get an apple TV box, chromecast or youview box, but how can I be sure the same won't happen with them and the Samsung?

Any ideas people?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't own a TV with the option for Black Frame insertion (it's mainly added to more expensive LCD and OLED TV's to improve motion clarity).

Just wondering does you Samsung TV support Black Frame insertion (BFI) which is a setting in the TV to compensate the poor resolution on sample and hold TV's such as LCD and OLED to increase the motion resolution to make moving objects look more clearer.

The drawback with Black Frame insertion is that it dims the picture and causes flicker on UK broadcasting content at 25 and 50hz.

Most people can't use the Black Frame insertion processing on their TV's due to the above and switch it off.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Do you watch TV in a dimely light room or in the dark and is your Samsung TV Backlight (assuming it's a LCD TV) and brightness ramped up to a high setting ?

If so maybe try reducing the backlight and brightness during the evening and consider some bias lighting behind the TV.

The main advantage of bias lighting is that it reduces eyestrain when watching TV and gives the perception that blacks look darker when using LCD TV's (especially noticeable on movies with top and bottom black bars).

Have a read of this linked article about Bias Lighting.

https://www.howtogeek.com/213464/how-to-decrease-eye-fatigue-while-watching-tv-and-gaming-with-bias-lighting/