cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Eye Strain/Pain from Roku Box and Samsung TV

After getting a Now TV Roku box and suubscription earlier in the year, I was really disappointed to find that after ten minutes or so of watching my eyes felt really strained and if I was to watch say 90mins, I would get a bad headache and very painful muscles around the eyes that would last for days.

I tried all the troubleshooting as recommended, i.e. changing samsung smart tv settings and adaptive picture settings, but still the same problem. So I could only finish my 3 month subscriptions on my laptop and phone.

I've accepted now that the roku box and samsung tv just aren't compatible, it even had a similar problem on my second logik TV, so I will sell the box or pass it on.

Now I am thinking of getting the Roku stick but want to be assured that the same thing doesn't happen again because I can't afford to do damage to my eyes (which I think it did before). NOW TV support tell me that it will be fine but I am just not sure.

Otherwise I may get an apple TV box, chromecast or youview box, but how can I be sure the same won't happen with them and the Samsung?

Any ideas people?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
11 REPLIES 11
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Chris

After reading your post I honestly believe that you are in the wrong place, you need to consult an optician not people on this forum or someone else that's just interested in selling you stuff.

Therefore you should seek advice about your eyes from a medical professional.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @ukbobboy for your care and compassion, however this is actually a known issue by NOW TV and I have seen other accounts of people having headaches and eye strain with the Roku+Samsung TV combo.

It is to do with the settings on some Samsung Tvs overcompensating for the refresh rate of the Roku box but noone has found a solution for this. That is why I am wondering whether the tech (driver etc.) in the Roku stick will function better than the box and maybe perform better with samsung TVs, or failing that a different device altogether such as the youview box, as I don't want to invest in more equipment if the same issue continues.

I have had thorough optician assessments and I can watch other devices just fine, without this issue.

@schnapps thanks for your replies but I have adjusted all kinds of settings but it is to do with very fast flickering that isn't noticeable and the refresh rate.

I've seen atleast three other posts about it and it cannot be unique, so there must be a lot of people putting up with it or struggling away! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sounds like you are septable / sensitive too flicker then, where some people reported seeing it on plasma TV's and other display technologys.

Never seen it myself on plasmas or LCD TV's using any device connected to my TV's including Roku's or NowTV devices (and i own a lot of streaming devices).

Not sure refresh frame rates has any effect on flicker (might be wrong and i am no expert), and miss matching of frame rates to your native TV display usually shows artefacts such has motion stuttering and juddering on moving camera panning shots. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi again Chris (& Schnapps)

An idea just crossed my mind which may help, but you should check with your optician if you think my idea has wings, have you ever thought of wearing Polaroid sun glasses while watching TV?  Such specs could substantially cut down on the flickering lights your eyes see or respond to when watching TV.

Again, this is just an idea that may or may not help.

Either way, I hope you find a solution for your problem.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy That's an interesting idea/work around but it just seems mad that I would have to go to those lengths when literally every other device like Firestick, youview box etc. works just fine for me with no problems whatsoever. Since it's a known error by NOW TV, you'd think they would be working on it and it would be a simple tweak to get the software and the ROKu device coordinating with the Samsung TV. They're missing out on my money, and I'm missing out on my sport! I'm a willing paying customer! 

Anyway I might just get the Roku stick and see if it has the same problem or not, fingers crossed for me. I have a feeling my best option might be to get it on Youview box or through a Chromecast.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I wouldn't invest in a YouView box at the moment purley for the NowTV App.

The reason is that the NowTV App only supports "on demand movies" and the PQ is only SD standard definition. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

never heard of this problem before so perhaps only a very small minority of users experience it that it’s not worth investigating, have you not tried the app on the Samsung tv maybe that would be better for you

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wonder if this issue with the Samsung 2010 models has been fixed yet?

Before I was using a roku box but now thinking of getting now tv through BT youview box, maybe will negate the issue?

I don't really want to test it as it caused such an issue with my eyes before - was quite scary.