cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ethernet setup

Do i need to do anything additional to just plugging in an ethernet cable when using a wired connection to a console for example. As i cannot get the internet to work on a LAN connection and wondered if i needed to do anything extra at the router end? 

13 REPLIES 13
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I haven't used a games console in years, but if my memory serves me right when i used my PS3 over Ethernet i had to go into the PlayStation network settings to select either wired, wireless or auto connection.

Maybe check your games console settings or perhaps post what games console you are trying to connect over Ethernet and hopefully somebody on the forum will come to your assistance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help schnapps,

Im attempting to connect my PS4 and have attempted to set it up through selecting ‘LAN connection’

when i go to test the connection it fails and says ‘unable to obtain ip in time’

it may be my ethernet cable in fairness i will have to put a test on it just to check

much appreciated none the less

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Perhaps Google your question on the internet to see what results and advice comes back ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi, did you manage to fix this? i am having the same problem

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was having the same problem. I think my Ethernet cable was too old so I bought a ‘CAT7’ high quality Ethernet cable off Amazon and it worked fine 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue attempting to connect my PS4 to the router via an ethernet cable.

I attempted inputing the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and primary/secondary DNS manually which then results in obtaining IP address but failing the next step - Internet Connection (Error code NW-31204-0).

Would very much appreciate some advice to resolve this issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had to re terminate my cat 5 plugs with a decent set of crimpers (as i made the cable myself) and it all works fine now.

hope this helps a little (doubtful) 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also had this issue with my PC and PS4.

Fixed it by going into the router settings > Ethernet, then changing Ethernet Type from Gigabit Ethernet to Fast Ethernet.

Shame Gigabit doesn't work - maybe it is to do with the cable involved?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If the cable is a professionally made CAT6 cable, then I would hypothesise that the device won’t run at Gigabit speeds,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.