cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J1m
Mentor

Ethernet cable not connecting

I've spent the last two days trying to get this working:

Ethernet cable (s) are not connecting. I plug it into the router, then to my laptop, nothing. Try diagnosing, says cable is not plugged in.

I reset the router through nowtv site, it tried to recognise (kept saying 'identifying') it briefly, but was told I needed to flush my dns as it might be trying to connect to a different IP. Reset my machine, back to square one, cable not being recognised at all.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I need a wired connection for an upcoming job.

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @J1m 

Do you mean your Laptop won't connect over Ethernet with your NowTV Hub Router or something else ?

If it's regarding attempting to connect your Laptop over hard wired Ethernet to a NowTV Hub 2 Router, then maybe have a read of my post in this linked thread below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/PC-Mac/Ethernet-not-working-on-one-device/m-p/546335 

J1m
Mentor

That's correct. I've reset the router, tried different laptops, different cables. I've tried resetting like you mention in the link. It half-worked for a moment (i.e. it recognised I was connected but wouldn't actually 'identify' it), now it's just straight up not working again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @J1m 

I am guessing you tried pressing in the reset button on the back of the Router for about 10 seconds, then tried my link suggestion ?

I am also assuming that your Laptops worked over Ethernet with your previous ISP Router ?

If your previous ISP was Sky, then try the Sky Router with your Laptop and the NowTV Broadband service.

Otherwise maybe contact the NowTV Broadband Team (use the telephone on this link page below).

Perhaps other forum members might have some other suggestions to try, where my IT & Computer Skills are non existent.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @J1m 

Out of curiosity have you got any other internet connected devices in the home that can run over Ethernet instead of WiFi, such has streaming boxes, smart TV etc that you can temporarily test out with the NowTV Hub Router ?

If other types of Ethernet devices work on the NowTV Hub Router, i would be inclined to double check your Laptop settings.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @J1m 

Don't know if the tips on this linked Sky Community Forum helps or not when applying the Fast Ethernet option on your NowTV Hub 2 Router.

To access the NowTV Hub 2 url settings on your browser use nowtv has the password instead of sky.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Brand-New-Sky-Q-Hub-Ethernet-Connection-Problems/td-p/3056911 

J1m
Mentor

Hey, thanks for the help, it's all working now. Turns out I just had a set of very dodgy cables. Ordered a new one and works immediately. That was fun 😕

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Glad you figured out the cause and got it sorted 👍.