cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Error code 013, can't connect to local network

We loved our first Now TV box so we bought another one for the bedroom and I now have my own Now TV account.

The first (black) box is working fine downstairs but the other one will not connect to our network despite having an Ethernet cable plugged in, we receive an error code 013.

The box acknowledges the Ethernet cable being plugged in but fails to connect to our local network.  When I tried to connect via WiFi we receive an error code 014 and a similar reason i.e: can't connect to local network.

Is this an issue because we have two Now TV boxes in the same property?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.  We've tried a hard and soft reset of the box to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you should be fine with two boxes, have you tried disabling pings on the box? 

You'll need to complete the following sequence, by pressing the buttons on your NOW TV box remote control in quick succession:

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

If the above is done correctly, you'll see a new screen pop up called Platform Secret Screen which will display two green bars and four further options. Please select Disable Network Pings from the list of available options.

Once you've done this, simply click back on your remote control until you reach the connection setup page, and attempt to connect to a network.

View solution in original post

109 REPLIES 109
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

There is a previous forum post that has a lot of suggestions that have been put forward by members of the team and also the help forum.

If you have a few moments to spare that post can be located here.

Let us know how you get on.

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue for me 😞 Virgin superhub, everything else working fine, tried both ethernet and wireless connection, disabled ping... nothing doing...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Have you had a look at my post above.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Er, ok, sussed it, my interpretation of the options, to be clear, when it says 'disable ping' on the menu it means it's enabled and when it says, 'enable ping' in the menu it means it's disabled, now disabled, works a treat :D, thanks and sorry for wasting anyone's time

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No time wasted at all @Anonymous User

Glad its all sorted for you

Cheers

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have three now tv black boxes in my house and util today all three worked perfectly.

Today i went to one of the boxes and it had no network connection. Thought i was the connection but the sky box sitting next to it had no issues. Swapped cables and sky carried on working but Now TV still showed error 013.50.

CHecked on the other two and one showed the same errors but the one in the living room was fine. Put both the non working boxes in the same connections as the one in the living room and still have the same error each time it checks the local network it fails.

I have reset one box still no change, i have followed the instructions to disable network ping and still no change. Reset and tried again. I still have two boxes not working and one that is

Can anyone help please?

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Hello 🙂

See if the following thread can help.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-white/Error-013-50/m-p/388712/highlight/true#M33321

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have looked at all similar postings for this topic,looking for some advice.

I tried to install my new Now TV Box last night Wifi to Virgin Super Hub 2, it connected to wifi but not to local network. 

I looked at help page that suggested turning off router and now box and restarting in that order. 

When I did this the box froze on the hello select language screen - wouldn't respond to remote at all (I had since seen the home button x 5 etc etc solution) but could not use as box would not respond. 

I then did  a physical reset of the now TV box with a pin in back of box -- no joy it rebooted to main screen and stayed frozen (light on front of box white).

I then contacted Now help via chat and did several combinations of turning off and on of router, box and physical resets.  Their solution was to say it is a faulty box and I should return it today which I will.

Questions

So with my new box tonight, should I disable pings on secret settings screen before I get to select WIFI page? Or do I try and connect first and then only do that if it fails.  I am concerned that it may freeze out like it did last night.

The password I entered was the wifi password, which connected to wifi but not home network, should I have used the router password?

Should I move everything off 5G connection to leave this one alone on that initially?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Jo

I recently had to install my new Black Now TV box into my wi-fi system, please note I am not writing about the Now TV Smart Combo box nor do I use Virgin Internet.

Anyway, to install my new Black Now TV box I had to enter my wi-fi password but not my router password, which is a normal/standard configuration.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't really matter at what point you disable pings  (the box shouldn't freeze up if you fail, so you've been unlucky) but usually you will try to disable pings when you get the 014 error message appearing.

The trick is to press the buttons on the remote quickly and smoothly

HOME button 5 times then
FF then PLAY then REW then PLAY then FF

Ignore the sounds and movements on the screen as they can be distracting (different menus and selections will appear on the screen while you press the remote keys) just concentrate on pressing the keys on the remote in the right order quickly and smoothly. After a moment you will see a new screen pop up called Platform Secret Screen (if it doesn't appear after a moment or two, try again)

Go into the Systems Operations Menu option and click on the Disable network pings option so that it now says Enable network pings and then press the Back button twice to return to the start and you can try connecting to your local network again. (If you still have problems try removing the power cable from the back of the box and leaving for a minute or two before reconnecting and trying the set up of your box again).

The other recommendation if that doesn't work is to change the channel settings on your router to auto.

As mentioned you should be entering the wifi name and password, not the router admin password.

If you still get stuck when you try with your new box you can always post back.