cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindzi
Elite 2

Continue Watching

Hi everyone

How is the 'continue watching' supposed to work? For example does it remove a series/film if you haven't selected it in a certain amount of time? I ask as this addition doesn't seem to work very well i.e. I go into my account and it has say 4 progs to watch (all different series) under the continue watching section. I can watch one of the progs and go back into the section to select a different series and it has removed 2 or more series - so it's there one minute and gone the next! (I do hope this makes sense). It is not working in a Netflix kind of a way and seems to remove things from the list at will.

So my basic question is should series that I am watching stay in the continue watching indefinitely (box sets) and if the series is on catch up the most recent should show up in there a day after broadcast?

If yes then it doesn't seem to work for me at all well. I have a Now black box, wireless connection. Ideally I would like recently watched back (in addition to continue watching as this is so unreliable)

Anyone else finding it a bit useless? Other than this I do like Now Tv and am generally really happy with it!

65 REPLIES 65
Lindzi
Elite 2

thanks @Jason-Cit is much appreciated Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seconded @Lindzi !!

Yes, many thanks @Jason-C ....Sorry for clouding the issue but we had a bit of fun along the way. Smiley Wink

Nice Star Wars reference @commanda6 ! Smiley Happy

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy @Anonymous User @Jason-C

Hi all, so here are my first thoughts on the Samsung app, please bear in mind that I am not technically minded and it's late at night.

Streaming quality drops in and out every now and then and this never happens with the black box. Mostly 3484 but dropped to under 300 at one point (I have no idea what these numbers mean). 

In movies when you select to watch a film live you get a pop up asking if you want to watch it live or from the film library...this is a really nice touch and great if you have missed the start of a film

the continue watching....this is still a problem in that when I choose watch now I  get the following message pop up

20161112_000629_LLS.jpg

After I close this message the next episode will play for around 20 seconds and then it kicks me out. I then have to re select this episode from the thumbnail 

So at this early stage I prefer the black box for picture quality and stability.

That's all for now folks Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

I'm genuinely surprised you are getting that same behaviour on the Samsung app @Lindzi which seems to suggest it's something backend that doesn't like you rather than a bug in the app. Still, it's nice to be special! 😉

I can only conclude that you and @Anonymous User have upset the continue watching gremlins in a past life and the only suggestion I can make is a cleansing ritual from my Advanced NOW TV Troubleshooting Manual. I will just gather together a few necessary bits and pieces and will be around to deliver the ceremony later this evening ...

image.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh Crikey @Lindzi,

You're not having much luck are you?  That "Whooshing" sound that you can hear is the streaming quality numbers going over my head, like you, I've got no idea what they mean, sorry Smiley Embarassed  Is there some kind of update available for the app?....Bear in mind that my telly is an LG and it's not a smart one, so I'm probably talking out of the wrong orifice...Again! Smiley Wink

I can only guess that @Andy is right, we must have been very, very bad and deserve to be soundly thrashed with a rolled-up copy of "Now TV for Dummies".  It looks like The Rumpo Kid has turned into the Exorcist...Some might see that as comedy gold...I'm just scared!!!Smiley Surprised

See you on the Naughty Step in 10 minutes, Lindzi. Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi again @Lindzi

I've just had a thought (That's my allowance for the day gone, then) and it stems back to a couple of weeks ago. Do you remember when the board was in meltdown as there was an update from Now TV that gave many folk problems?  Well some had done an update and found that their boxes didn't seem to work, somebody (I can't remember who, so I can't give them any credit....Sorry to whoever it was but we did appreciate it) came up with an idea.

That was to connect the Now TV box directly to your router with an Ethernet cable (The yellow one) and for some, this worked and got them going again.

After @Andy mentioned that you might have a recurring problem "Back-end" (Sorry, I realise that you're a Lady and I don't mean to be rude Smiley Embarassed ) I wonder if this would work for you.  I know that everybody has a different set-up for their TV/Computer/Router and you might not be able to get the router close enough to the TV to attach the cable but it might "Boost" something and get that button of yours to play the next episode, without the coloured balls driving you bonkers.

At this point, maybe anything is worth a try, you never know it might work....Then again it might not and we'll have to "Carry on Screaming"....."Frying Tonight!" Smiley Wink

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jason-C wrote:

Hi @Lindzi@Anonymous User@Andy

Thanks for getting in touch!

I'm very sorry, but going back through the thread I had a little trouble understanding what the issue is exactly. (Let's blame it on being the end of the week... Smiley Frustrated)

in your defence @Jason-C

'Clouds everything the dockside does'

You gave me the perfect opportunity to reference Star Wars Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Lindzi
Elite 2

@Andy @Anonymous User

I just couldn't believe it when it didn't work properly!! Don't have this issue with any other streaming service...who all seem happy with the old "backend"

Oh well we'll see if it irons itself out as there doesn't seem to be anything else I can try at the mo.

I will join @Anonymous User on the naughty step and wait for a fix

Lindzi
Elite 2

You know @Anonymous User this problem started around the whole melt down time but the box was not being used at the time as I was at work. I never gave it a second thought as it was all over by the the time I wanted to use it again. Maybe it is related.

Unfortunately though the router is in the next room so can't really connect the box via Ethernet. I only downloaded samsung app yesterday and that has problems too, shouldn't that one be all new and shiny?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Lindzi

I would guess that your Samsung telly is a big'un but do you have a smaller, second telly that you could take into the next room?  If you have then you could take that in, disconnect your black box from your Samsung and connect it to the smaller telly.  You could then try watching that set-up with the Ethernet cable attached to your box.

To my mind that wouldn't be "Another Device", so you wouldn't have to register it, as it is the same box....You would just be watching the same device (Black Box) in a different way.....Does that make sense? I don't think that you would even be required to sign in.

I know that it would take a lot of faffing about to do but you never know, it might be worth it.  If it works, you could then bring your box back into the Samsung and see if it has "Kick Started" something for when you use it via wi-fi.

I think I need a cup of tea now.....and maybe a Hob Nob. Smiley Wink