cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindzi
Elite 2

Continue Watching

Hi everyone

How is the 'continue watching' supposed to work? For example does it remove a series/film if you haven't selected it in a certain amount of time? I ask as this addition doesn't seem to work very well i.e. I go into my account and it has say 4 progs to watch (all different series) under the continue watching section. I can watch one of the progs and go back into the section to select a different series and it has removed 2 or more series - so it's there one minute and gone the next! (I do hope this makes sense). It is not working in a Netflix kind of a way and seems to remove things from the list at will.

So my basic question is should series that I am watching stay in the continue watching indefinitely (box sets) and if the series is on catch up the most recent should show up in there a day after broadcast?

If yes then it doesn't seem to work for me at all well. I have a Now black box, wireless connection. Ideally I would like recently watched back (in addition to continue watching as this is so unreliable)

Anyone else finding it a bit useless? Other than this I do like Now Tv and am generally really happy with it!

65 REPLIES 65
Lindzi
Elite 2

Hi @Anonymous User I tried CW tonight and still no joy on watch next...just the coloured balls doing their thing....swirling about not caring one bit that I would like to watch a programme. I admit defeat and will just use the watch list. I use geektown too to find out when series are back but I also use sky never miss which is working really well (I think @Andy was the one who told me about it on the forum when I was having a game of thrones melt down)

@Andy I will try the samsung app over the weekend and report back. The only thing that's put me off so far is the reports saying it takes 10 to 15 seconds for the picture to settle, I thought it could be a bit annoying. Will try it out though, be rude not to!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Lindzi ,

I'm probably going over old ground here, as you seem to have tried everything but is this worth a try?

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Buffering-All-devices

Scroll down to "Fix buffering issues in my Now TV Box" and click on that to open it up and then look at "Manually adjusting your data settings" 

By my thinking, if you are getting the little coloured balls, your box knows it has to do something and is giving it a go....Is it trying to load and buffering?....I don't know because, like I say this has me baffled.  That page might not help, but it doesn't do anything that can't be reversed and it can't do any harm, can it?......Can it!!??Smiley Surprised

Good luck with your weekend "Mission" Smiley Wink

Lindzi
Elite 2

Thanks for the link @Anonymous User and I will def have a read through it.

The thing is it doesn't buffer at any other time just the Continue watching from one episode to next. In general the streaming is perfect and never buffers when watching films or programmes and I am really happy with it. Just this one thing gets on my nerves.

What surprises me is that we have created a long thread on this and no comment from now tv.

Thank you for all your help. You never know my samsung tv app could be the answer to it and I'll never mention it again!
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Lindzi

Alas that 'manually adjust data settings' is a red herring and will make no difference to how the NOW TV streams perform, it's a legacy feature for Roku apps that still offer fixed streams but that's old school and NOW TV along with just about everything else now use adaptive streaming which will adjust on the fly depending on your broadband connection. 

image.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Andy

Thanks for putting me right, I didn't actually think that it would help but I figured it might be worth a try as I hate to file a fault like this under "Faulty Box".....Especially when everything else on @Lindzi 's box seems to be working fine. I've been racking my brain (To be fair, there's not that much to rack) over this one and I'm still stumped.

Also, @Lindzi makes a good point (Hi Lindzi Smiley Happy) that Now TV haven't jumped in on this, I've just checked and @Jason-C seems to be on line to help as I type this.  Hi Jason, I wonder if you could ask the "Tech Squad" to look into this, it might not help but thanks in advance.

Now then back to "The Rumpo Kid"....Andy, you have struck a very rich vein with the old Carry On films, they're not very PC, some of them are about as funny as toothache, but one or two are absolute gems...."Carry on at your convenience", and, funnily enough, "Carry on Cowboy" are my favourites. Smiley LOL  Crikey, "Carry on Cowboy" was made 50 years ago!!Smiley Surprised

Maybe, that Samsung TV app will work, I hope that it does.... Fingers crossed!!

Lindzi
Elite 2

Thank you @Andy & @Anonymous User  I do appreciate all the help and suggestions 

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @Lindzi@Anonymous User@Andy

Thanks for getting in touch!

I'm very sorry, but going back through the thread I had a little trouble understanding what the issue is exactly. (Let's blame it on being the end of the week... Smiley Frustrated)

We've not had any Continue Watching problems flagged to us before, and I even use it myself with no setbacks. That said, we'll do our best to help if it's not working properly!

Could you let us know the following, and we'll see what we can do to troubleshoot:

- Which device you're using

- Which shows/episodes you've had a problem with

- What the problem(s) is/steps to reproduce the problem

Thanks,

Jason

Lindzi
Elite 2

Hi @Jason-C

Thank you for your reply.

The problem (in a nutshell, hopefully) is at the end of a programme (box set) the app brings up a watch next episode and you can choose maybe later or watch now.

If I chose watch now it will either give me a black screen or the colour balls swirling - I have tried leaving it for over 5 mins and it still does not play the next episode.

If I leave the programme to play to end of the credits, and wait for it to take me back to the boxset thumbnails, on picking the next episode it will not play - it just does nothing

On both issues I have to hit the home button and re open Now TV app. After this the next episode is correctly queued in my Continue Watching, so it does register what I have previously watched.

This happens with every box set I try, but I am currently watching Greys Anatomy (I think I am on series 5) and Quantico.

All other aspects of the app are fine - no buffering on playback at all and responsive in all other areas of the app.

If you are still with me I have a black Now TV box (not at home so do not have a model/serial number)

Thanks and sorry for the long ramble

p.s is there a reason why we could not have 'recently watched' back to run in addition to the continue watching?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jason-C

The other problem is that whenever @Anonymous User @Lindzi and myself get together we do like to have a little chat, which over time obscures the original genuine problem, so sorry for making you read through our 'stuff' and sorry to make Lindzi explain it all over again ...

... still we like our little chats so hope you'll forgive us

PS my guilty pleasure Carry On films would be Up the Jungle and Carry onScreaming! 😉

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Thanks @Lindzi

That description makes perfect sense. 🙂 Sorry to hear it's not working though!

It's an odd one, as we definitely haven't seen this behaviour before. I'll flag it to the experts, and get them to look into it.

I can't promise it'll start working again straight away, but hopefully if they spot a bug they can squash it.

PS. I'll look for more info on the removed "recently watched" section, but I believe we've found Continue Watching to be much more popular/useful.

Thanks,

Jason