cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Connecting to a 5G wifi network?

Hi All,

Just after some advice re connecting the NOW TV box to a 5G wifi network.

I have Virgin Media wireless broadband and the box will only see the 2G SSID network, however when I took the NOW TV box to a family members house recently who also have VM 2G & 5G network it recognised their 5G SSID and connected with no issues?

Any elp much appreciated.

Thanks

David

3 REPLIES 3
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Which version of the virgin media super hub do you have?

If you're super hub does have two SSIDs which the super Hub 2 does. The five gig SSID will need to have a different name to the 2.4 gig one for the box to pick it up. To change this, you would need to go into the settings for the super hub

I believe the earlier version of the super hub could only have one SSID active at once. Either 5 gig or 2.4 gig

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for the response, in regards to the version of super hub I have I am assuming it is the 2nd version as I have several devices connected to the 2G and others to the 5G.

As for the SSID names then they are different currently in that one is VMXXXX-2G and the other is VMXXXX-5G or should I completely rename them?

Thanks again
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hi Thanks for the response, in regards to the version of super hub I have I am assuming it is the 2nd version as I have several devices connected to the 2G and others to the 5G.

As for the SSID names then they are different currently in that one is VMXXXX-2G and the other is VMXXXX-5G or should I completely rename them?

Thanks again

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry for the delayed reply. If you had mentioned me in your post by typing @commanda6 . I would have replied a lot sooner as I would have received a forum notification.

As your two SSIDs have different names. The box should be able to pick up the both of them.

How far away from your route is the box? Because bearing in mind five gig Wi-Fi has a shorter range than 2.4 gig. 5 gig Wi-Fi also doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4 gig. Ideally if you're using five gig Wi-Fi you would want no more than one wall between your router and the box. Typically five gig Wi-Fi would have about half the usable range of 2.4 gig. If your box isn't quite close to your router. You may well be restricted to using 2.4 gig Wi-Fi. 

Sorry I know that's not probably what you wanted to hear Smiley Sad

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.