cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Connect to a TV that does not have a HDMI port

Is there any way to connect a Now -BLACK - box to a TV that does not have a HDMI port. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

You might be right about the HDCP encryption being the stumbling issue with a lot of these HDMI converter boxes.

Also with composite video (yellow cable) the maximum resolution that this cable can output is only a SD signal at 480i or 576i. 

I've got one of these boxes somewhere. Sufficed to say the converted images looked awful. Completely washed out and lifeless Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The thing to bear in mind about HDCP is that is a total busted flush. Version 1.3 as used by anthing upto 1080p has had the root keys reverse engineered and basically offers no protection whatsoever as a device can create brand new valid keys on the fly making revocation of keys completely futile.

Even more recent versions at least right upto version 2.2 which protects 4k content is a bust as well.

The upside is cheap coverters purchased on eBay especially stuff shipped from China will just work around any HDCP. There are also plenty of devices on the likes of eBay that will remove HDCP from an HDMI signal. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all.
My tv is about 9 years old. Has no hdmi slot just a dvi connection. I have a black now tv now that I bought last month. Tried connecting it all up. Got a hdmi to dvi cable, and picture is fine but getting no sound. The only ports are hdmi, ethernet and dc power.
Is there a way I can get round this problem or am I stuffed and won't be able to use it on this tv? Need sound!! 😞
Thanks x
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You'll need to get yourself something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revesun-high-definition-converter-convert-digital/dp/B00P28H4Y0/

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using an Samsung 32" tv and I'm wondering what hdmi/ images settings would you recommend or use.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If your Samsung TV is 1080p capable, then you should set the display settings on the nowTV box black to 1080p. While the now TV service itself is 720p maximum the box will upscale the video feed to 1080p if the display settings are set to 1080p. This results in a better overall picture quality.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've done that, it just that the dark scenes seam a little dark, and example of this is GOT. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It might be that you just need to adjust brigthness/contrast settings on your TV. My TV actually saves each input sources settings individually. So say i have two HDMI devices connected to the tv and set my settings on the first one.. those settings do not apply to the second souce. It allows to to fine adjust for each paricular device. (Same witht heh audio settings). I'm not sure about your TV model but it's worth a look.

Also some TV's have preset modes and Auto adjust modes that attempt to enhance and improve the picture. I have them turned off on mine as i find they often are not so good and often get the brightness or colour balance wrong.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We use this, from US Amazon, to convert a black Now TV box to composite video for an old-ish widescreen CRT TV. It has a switch which lets it output in PAL (best for UK) or NTSC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGDB3TA

Quality wise, it's as good as we'd expect for that sort of conversion, stable and comparable to a live broadcast. Definitely more enjoyable to watch than the minijack output of our old white Now TV box which suffered from horribly fussy connection and crosstalk issues. The jack had to be fiddled with constantly to get it just right, and the picture often wobbled or showed noise in sync with the sound. Yuck.

There are lots of very similar "HDMI2AV" boxes on Amazon.co.uk, which I suspect are actually the same with different brand names. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B01N5KNFD1/