cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Connect to a TV that does not have a HDMI port

Is there any way to connect a Now -BLACK - box to a TV that does not have a HDMI port. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does the new Black Box have the s-video connection that the old white box had?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. The black NOW TV box is HDMI only I'm afraid, it has no mini jack to RCA connection.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Does the new Black Box have the s-video connection that the old white box had?

Out of interest, what's the make and model number of your television?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's an old Sony Trinitron CRT set.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am not aware of any method to connect a NowTV black box to a non HDMI TV.

I believe your only option might have to be the older NowTV white box and you will also need the Roku red, white and yellow cable from the Sky accessories store.

Maybe somebody else may come up with a solution ?

Edit - Just found this converter on Amazon (not sure it would work with the NowTV box ?)

This converter uses a HDMI mini connector, so you would need a HDMI standard to HDMI mini cable and also not sure if the NowTV black box is HDMI 1.3 ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FarSail-composite-Converter-displayers-monitor/dp/B01B9KBHF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461768785&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=composite+to+hdmi+converter&psc=1

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that it would be the case but hoped that someone might have a bright idea. Thanks anyway.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

See if anybody else comes up with a suggestion ?

If it's possible i am sure somebody might have tried a HDMI converter box and will confirm to you if they actually work and maybe they can link the converter box that they had success with.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

See if anybody else comes up with a suggestion ?

If it's possible i am sure somebody might have tried a HDMI converter box and will confirm to you if they actually work and maybe they can link the converter box that they had success with.

@Anonymous User @schnapps

The sticking point would be the lack of HDCP support. HDCP support is needed in order to stream/play high-quality protected digital content. The support is needed for any content which has a resolution of 720p or above. So you may well be able to use a converter, but she would be restricted in terms of video quality. HDMI is the future. Unfortunately, and in a few years time, people will be able to do very little if anything with their TVs if they don't have a TV with HDMI. As the U.K.'s main broadcasters are meant to be planning for HD only future which means that in order to be able to receive the channels you will need a TV which supports HDCP

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6

You might be right about the HDCP encryption being the stumbling issue with a lot of these HDMI converter boxes.

Also with composite video (yellow cable) the maximum resolution that this cable can output is only a SD signal at 480i or 576i.

Personally if it was me, i would be looking on somewhere like Gumtree and taking a gamble on picking up a cheap HD HDMI TV (a lot of people are getting shot of perfectly good televisions because they have got the 4K upgrade bug) or maybe looking at the cheap Supermarket branded TV's if you prefer to buy new.