cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cast Netflix app to NowTV box (can cast YouTube)

Hi,

Can you cast from Netflix app (Android) to a Now TV box?

We have the black Now TV box.

It works with YouTube app, but not Netflix app.

Cheers,

Con

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User without the Netflix app on the NOW TV box it's not possible and I don't see them allowing it. The box is a heavily subsidised Roku, so if you want rival services you might want to pick one of those up.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure that this is anything to do with the Netflix app.

I am asking about using the NowTV box as a chromecast destination.

See this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/214943/how-to-use-your-roku-like-a-chromecast/

When I open the YouTube app on my tablet I see the Now TV / Roku as a target/destination for a cast.

So why doesn't the Netflix app on my tablet see the Now TV / Roku also?

I also have a Chromecast dongle in my TV but would rather cast to the Now TV box as I'd only need one box plugged in ;].

Regards,

Con

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the Netflix mobile app doesn't "cast" the stream but sends and instruction to the Roku box to play the show/film on the app. It's the same with the YouTube app. Without the relevant app on the box it won't work.

As the NOW TV box reports that it's a Roku, the Netflix mobile app hopes for the best that you have it installed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that, that does make sense.

I did not realise the app on the tablet talked to the app on the box, I thought it talked to a single casting service but that does not sound like that case.

Sounds like I'll have to stick to the chromecast - as you say, Sky will never allow Netflix on a Now TV box!

Cheers,

Con