Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't Connect on 5Ghz

The tech spec for the new black box states the following under 'Networking';

• 802.11 dual-band (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA and WPA2 support

Dual-band means 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I have the new Virgin Superhub 2ac with a 100Mbps connection. We have several devices that utilise the 5Ghz connection without issue, however for some reason the Now TV box can only find the 2.4Ghz connection, even if the box is within a few feet of the Virgin Superhub. Have I been duped into purchasing this device with false advertising, or can the new Now TV box connect via 5Ghz? If it can, could someone please explain how?

BR

Des

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi, unfortunately this is just off the top of my head from about 6 months ago so may not be correct info so forgive me if the info is a bit vague.

But as i use a Superhub 2, i initially had problems connecting to 5ghz frequency as my 5ghz 'Router Channel' was NOT set to 'Auto Compatability' and was set to a channel something around 200, unfortunately i can't remember the 5ghz channel range on the Superhub 2 - i think the 2.4 ghz channel range is about 1-13.

So what i did to get it working was either set the 5ghz 'Router Channel' to 'Auto Compatability' or 'Channel 36', as the Now TV Box seem to have issues finding the higher range channels, and since then i had no problems using the box in a bedroom through walls with the router downstairs.

It might be worth giving it a try if all else fails 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,
I had to comment because I have the same issue I can't find my 5G at all! My box is connected to my 2G and at night that is difficult to use, I find in the day it mostly works fine.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User as per the comment above, try using one of the lower 5ghz channels. From memory the box only works on approved US channels which don't include the full range we are permitted in the UK.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much, my 2G works mainly during the day. It's good too see it's not only me
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  strange yours is not connecting.  I have the same set up as you.  Virgin SuperHub.  Can you go on to the webpage for the hub and just check whether it is set to private?

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Can I ask which now to box do you have?
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I have both a black box and a smart box.  I use smart box more than black box now.  Black box tends to be for Iplayer.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for your help I've got it working. I contacted virgin media and they sorted it for me. My connection was private
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  glad you got sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all, try to set a fixed channel to 36 on your router for the 5ghz network and set this network like separate network with specific ssid. For my smartstick I have solved the problem.