cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Buying a falsely advertised box

Now I know this isn't the end of the world but I purchased a box last week from my local Asda and on it states that you can have your favourite apps such as YouTube and Facebook.
Well obviously not Facebook because when I attempted to find it I found out that it has been discontinued. This then is rather annoying as part of the reason I had the product was to use this feature. After trying to speak to some one from the help desk I was very rudely told that it wasn't there issue it was the shop i bought from. This did confuse me because I was unaware that Asda did the advertisement for nowtv but there you go. After speaking to my local Asda they confirmed that they didn't do the advertisement for nowtv and that due to it being a branded product there wasn't much I could do as I only had the sleeve not the box.
After then going back to the help chat I was told that they had recently done an update that meant no more Facebook. Which is what it is but I wouldn't class 8 months ago as recently.
Can I ask why a company as large as sky/nowtv haven't done a recall on packaging that misleads and falsely advertises the contents of there box as it's rather annoying.
I do hope that someone does come back to me with a sensible answer
5 REPLIES 5
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Facebook was never there in full. It was an interface with photos from your account. However that wasn't made clear on the advertising YouTube is available and can be linked to your phone. Apps are subject to change, you may for example find new apps are launched that were not advertised.
Have Asda given you a refund?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Right ok well that's rather misleading to use the Facebook symbol and not offer Facebook.
Unfortunately not due to me only having the sleeve they will not take it back.
I am aware of the other apps on the box but it's just annoying that it's not there
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @4268

You know, Guys

It does take a bit of time for something, like the Now TV box, is manufactured and packaged then passed through the supply chain to the customer. 

As anyone who buys computers and/or their peripherals know that, in this fast moving world, specs can change, updates implemented, internals replaced, incomplete HW or SW, etc., and although we mostly get what we buy there will always be times when something is not as we thought it should be.

If every time a piece of IT kit was returned when a small part of it was not as expected then I suspect the IT industry would collapse, that's why they've got that "get out of jail" clause, "Subject to Change Without Notice".

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As a should take back if it does not do as it says on the box..

Take back to store and talk nicely to them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Martinmacd does the sleeve say that Facebook is available? If so you are well within your rights to return the box to Asda even though you've opened and used it and even if you don't have all the packaging.

Explain that you are not returning it because you've changed your mind (in which case you would need the packaging), you are returning it because it is not as advertised on the box. Asda are the retailer, it is up to them to ensure that what they sell you is what they say they're selling you. If the sleeve says you can access Facebook, but in fact that feature is not available, then they (Asda) have misdescribed it and you are entitled to a refund.

If the sleeve doesn't mention Facebook then you may have difficulty