cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilipB82
Mentor

Box updates

Hello

Does anyone know if Roku will still release system updates for the black box? I just wondered as it's an older device and the stick is the latest device. Still contemplating on whether to keep my box or go for the stick!

Philip

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

Are you referring to the older nowtv black box or a full blown Roku Player ?

If it's a full blown Roku Player what's the model number ?

Should it be a black NowTV box then these devices are still fully supported by NowTV where i believe they are currently running OS 9.0.3 (like the newer boxes & stick).

The only branded NowTV box that is long in the tooth nowadays, where it is starting to struggle with power hungry Apps or doesn't offer the full Apps offered from the NowTV Apps Store is the white NowTV box.

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps 

It's the black now tv box, at least it's still being supported. I may as well keep hold of it for the time being despite it having a few little niggles! 👍

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

I haven't used a nowtv black box for a while and it isn't one of my six registered devices, but what sort of little niggles are you experiencing on your box ?

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

I've actually done a couple of posts on here regarding the issues and you've replied to some 👍

Anyway I'll just run through them... 

1. When switching to now tv from a different hdmi input I get an error message only for a second. It reads 'To play this content, all HDMI connections must support High bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)'. I've tried different cables but it still the same. Like I said it only appears for a second then goes. It doesn't pop up during playback. 

2. Sometimes whilst watching something a green screen or multi coloured lines will appear on screen. This is totally random. Bit annoying! 

3. Mainly watching live TV the picture will go blurry/pixelated like the WiFi signal or speed isn't good enough. However I get good signal and speeds are way above the minimum required to stream. I thought it was my Internet at first but I can't see how it can be. Anyway to be honest it doesn't seem to be as often now. I'll probably just live with it. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

With Black Friday looming if there are any bargains about during the BF Sales then perhaps treat yourself to a new NowTV streaming device.

Should you decide to purchase a newer device make sure that the retailer that you buy it from offers a no quibble returns policy just in case the new player exhibits the same issues.

Saying that i have encountered the HDCP message on numerous occasions using my NowTV 4K Smart box with a Panasonic 4K television which i have reported back to the NowTV Tech Team on more than one occasion.

Though it's only on rare occasions that i have ever seen the multi coloured picture artefacts or pixelated screen on my box and always on the live streams and never catchup or boxsets.

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

If I did buy a stick I may also need to get a HDMI extension. I'm concerned that if it's plugged in behind the TV set it may hinder the WiFi signal. However the same applies to the connection at the side of the TV, as the HDMI port is set quite far back it might be tucked away behind the frame. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilipB82 

It's difficult to say if the NowTV stick wifi reception will be sufficient either on the rear or side HDMI port on your television until you physically use it.

Perhaps locate your smartphone close to where you intend to locate the stick and either look at the wifi reception signal on your phone or see if there is an App that can measure it.

If it was me i would be more inclined to stretch a little further and get the NowTV 4K Smart Box (even though your Phillips television is only HD).

From my testing i find that the NowTV 4K box has a slightly better wifi reception over the stick (don't know if it's got a bigger more sensitive wifi antenna built into the box or because the box is placed normally on a shelf in a more open environment compared to the stick).

Don't pay full price SRP of £45 to £50 for the NowTV 4K Smart box where i don't think it's worth that sort of money and at that price i would opt for the Roku Streaming Stick Plus which i also own and has a more powerful decent remote wifi antenna on it.

Maybe during the Black Friday Sales the 4K Smart box will be around the £20 to £25 price point.

Where B&M Store's according to their website was selling the NowTV 4K box with the bundled passes for £25.

Or just save a couple of quid and chance your arm on the stick.

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

Funny you should suggest putting my smartphone where the stick would be, as I've already tried that! It did seem to affect the signal actually.

Good shout on the smart box though... 🤔 I've just looked on B&M site and found it. To be honest I would prefer a box rather than a stick. 

PhilipB82
Mentor

@schnapps

Hello,

I see that Currys have the smart box for £25 now due to the Black Friday deal!

Just a couple of things.. 

I understand the smart box uses something called direct WiFi. Can another device e.g smartphone connect to it? In my available WiFi networks on my phone and laptop it picks up a DIRECT ROKU.... SSID.. I assume one of my neighbours has a Roku device? 

Also could this WiFi interfere with the signal being received from my router? I wouldn't want anything else compromising the signal strength or speed. 

Thanks