cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Black box no longer sold?

Just noticed on the official site that the Black box is no longer sold, does this mean it's now discontinued?

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

This news wouldn't surprise me, where all technological equipment has a short shelf or production life where products keep evolving and most of the time improving.

I am sure that somebody from the NowTV Team will confirm either way if this is the case or not.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User

Hi Schnapps & Danie

Now TV no longer advertise the black box, the picture below was taken from their latest advert:-

Current Now TV Boxes.jpg

However, while stocks last the box is still currently available from Amazon and, I believe, Argos and Currys, maybe a few other places as well.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah that was confirmed by live chat for another user on the forum. I think there are just too many similarities in features between the black box and stick to make it worthwhile keeping both going (the only advantage the box has over the stick is the Ethernet port, otherwise the stick has pluses in most areas).

You can still pick them up in places like Argos for the time being if you wanted one.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Hi Andy

I believe that Roku have also dropped the Roku 3, the box Now TV's black box is based on, so it was only a matter of time before the Now TV's version would also be dropped.

From a personal view point, I prefer the design of the Roku 3/Now TV black box over the stick.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Yeah the Roku 3 went when the new Roku lineup arrived. I thought I'd also prefer a physical box but having used the stick for a while I don't miss a 'box' in the slightest. My concerns that tucking it out of sight behind a TV (or in my case amp) would reduce performance and cause overheating have been unfoundered, it's been rock solid in operation and a noticeable increase in speed of navigating. I don't miss not connecting via Ethernet either. I still have the box attached to another TV but it feels a clunker to use now. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Hi again Andy

There is no doubt that the stick is more advanced than the box, as it should be, but I prefer the form factor.

So, rather than buy the stick I will wait until  the Roku Ultra, or something similar, is released in the UK.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Maybe there's a new box going to make an appearance ?

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2273989/new-now-tv-smart-box-with-voice-remote/p1?new=1

Any pictures ?

Miketurn
Scholar 3

@ukbobboywrote:

Can't say I'm keen on the pink logo.

UK Bob

Tbh it probably wont matter as it looks like the same wi-fi remote as the stick and you could just hide it somewhere out of sight.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the forthcoming replacement for the 'puck' as I'm sure there are plenty of users who use ethernet for the best possible results.

Interestingly, that thread has been pulled, so maybe there's been a complaint about NDA's???

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Miketurnwrote:

@ukbobboywrote:

Can't say I'm keen on the pink logo.

UK Bob

Tbh it probably wont matter as it looks like the same wi-fi remote as the stick and you could just hide it somewhere out of sight.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the forthcoming replacement for the 'puck' as I'm sure there are plenty of users who use ethernet for the best possible results.

Interestingly, that thread has been pulled, so maybe there's been a complaint about NDA's???

I saw a comment shortly before it was pulled advising the poster that they would be under an NDA and were advised to keep schtum. I'd imagine a Digiguide mod has stepped in at that point to remove the thread.