cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Black box forgets my Now TV login details

Every so often (once a week or so) my black Now TV box forgets my login details and I have to re-enter them to watch Now TV.  This almost never happened with my white box.

Does anyone else get this?  Is there a fix?

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear this.

Can you try a Hard Reset to see if that sorts out the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@DarylM wrote:

@Anonymous User Your box forgets your login details even when you don't turn it off?

Yes,  I  switched to HDMI2 on the TV and it had the last film I was watching displayed.  I clicked on Watch Now and it then sent me through three advert pages.  It then had me as disconnected from the internet, so I went and checked the wired connection.  That was all OK and then it asked me to sign it with username and password.

That's very odd.  I've had the 'click-through-three-ads' thing when launching the app.  i.e. Before 'watch now' but never after.

I do hope that's not a common occurrence.  The app losing a user's details while they're signed in isn't good at all.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@DarylM wrote:

@Anonymous User Your box forgets your login details even when you don't turn it off?

Yes,  I  switched to HDMI2 on the TV and it had the last film I was watching displayed.  I clicked on Watch Now and it then sent me through three advert pages.  It then had me as disconnected from the internet, so I went and checked the wired connection.  That was all OK and then it asked me to sign it with username and password.

That's very odd.  I've had the 'click-through-three-ads' thing when launching the app.  i.e. Before 'watch now' but never after.

I do hope that's not a common occurrence.  The app losing a user's details while they're signed in isn't good at all.

It was odd.  Only happened once, so could be a glitch.  Was more surprised that I had to reset the wired connection as that has been stuck in the back since I got it.  I have set up the 5G wifi as well.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Strangely enough, the Sky Store app remembers my login details after I've turned the box off and back on again.  So I think this is a fault with the Now TV app rather than a security feature.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

If I exit the Now TV app (by pressing the Home icon on the remote) and turn the box off at the plug, when I next log in the app will remember my details.

Ignore what I said before.  This worked yesterday, but today the box forgets my login details even when I sign out by returning to the Home screen before turning off.

So my box now forgets my login details every time I turn it off at the plug.

It does seem odd to have made a product which is designed never to be turned off at the plug.  Not leaving things on standby is a basic energy saving measure.  This is not very environmentally- (or wallet-) friendly.

Strange that this only started happening to my box recently.  But I've not had it for long.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got the new box a few days after launch and immediately noticed this happening so raised it with NowTV Chat support (that was a few weeks ago) and they advised that an 'upcoming' update would resolve the issue. I've also been running 2 of the white boxes for approx 6 months and don't recall them ever forgetting the login details and they get powered down on a regular basis.

If this is a 'by-design' security feature then I'd have thought that the majority of the current NowTV user base is  running the older white boxes (which don't seem to regularly encounter this issue) and would indicate that NowTV aren't really that concerned about security on the majority of their estate.

Currently it kind of feels that either the online chat response or the suggestion it's for security is a fob-off and I'm hoping it's just something that needs ironing out with the authentication process used by the new boxes.

If security was a truly a concern then I think I'd notice that a box was missing and wouldn't deleting a device in my Account on the NowTV website addresses any security concerns alongside PIN protecting the process for purchasing content?

Keeping my finger's x'd for an update 🙂

P.S. Apart from the sign-in issue, I'm finding the performance on the new box great!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have same problem since updated to black box which we turn off at plug every night as its in bedroom so only used at night the white box had no problem and never asked us to login again the black one asks us every single time it's bloody annoying
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User-F so your saying the white boxes are insecure then as they never do log you out?

Stupid idea most people turn everything off at night who ever came up with that idea for so called security give them a slap from me lol
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

Every so often (once a week or so) my black Now TV box forgets my login details and I have to re-enter them to watch Now TV.  This almost never happened with my white box.

Does anyone else get this?  Is there a fix?

It's happened again.  Restarting my box (twice) had no effect.  The box just forgot my Now TV login and I had to re-enter it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I took mine back to Argos as faulty and got refund and got meself a good deal on full sky TV instead.