cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Black box forgets my Now TV login details

Every so often (once a week or so) my black Now TV box forgets my login details and I have to re-enter them to watch Now TV.  This almost never happened with my white box.

Does anyone else get this?  Is there a fix?

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

34 REPLIES 34
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Can you please factory reset the NOW TV box via the settings menu and then perform a software update and let us know how you get on? 

Steps to update software can be found here

Thanks, 

Karl

NOW TV Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear about the sign in problems.

The NOW TV Boxes are designed to be kept on at the mains. They automatically go into standby mode when not in use.

I think that your unplugging them may be why you're having this issue. Can you try keeping the NOW TV Boxes plugged in for a few days and let us know if it resolves the issue.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Rich,

Having had this same problem occur several times over the last 2 weeks, it seems odd that switching it off at the mains could be causing the problems. I have had no option but to always switch off my box (both the white and the black) at the mains and never had this occur before on either model of the box.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at NOW TV. 

This feature is in place for the security of your account. 

If the NOW TV Box keeps you signed in, when unplugged this means that any one can have access to your account. 

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Karl

NOW TV Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Karl-F wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at NOW TV. 

This feature is in place for the security of your account. 

If the NOW TV Box keeps you signed in, when unplugged this means that any one can have access to your account. 

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Karl

NOW TV Team 

Can I ask when this feature started then? I've had Now TV since it started, and have never had to reinput my log-in details after unplugging until 2 weeks ago. Alao, would it not be a better feature if it gave the subscriber the choice over whether to stay logged-in or not?

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

We appreciate your feedback. 

We can pass this on to the relevant team, I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Thanks, 

Karl

NOW TV Team

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I think I've found the cause of the problem - and the solution.

If I am signed in to the Now TV app and turn the box off at the plug, when I next log in the app has forgotten my sign in details.

If I exit the Now TV app (by pressing the Home icon on the remote) and turn the box off at the plug, when I next log in the app will remember my details.

Clearly what has happened is that I've forgotten to exit the app before turning off at the plug.

This is an easy mistake to make since I might be signed in with the intention of watching something else, but don't get round to it and just switch off when I turn off the TV.

I think the white box was less prone to this because it would sign out after a period of inactivity.  I don't know if the black box does this (or if it can be set to do it).

So always press the Home icon on the remote to sign out of the Now TV app when you've finished a viewing session and logging in next time should be fine.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM wrote:

So always press the Home icon on the remote to sign out of the Now TV app when you've finished a viewing session and logging in next time should be fine.

I am experiencing this without turning off the box but there is little chance anyone in my house will ever do this.  It's fine when I am around, but I don't really want my children to have my password when I am working.  Even worse it removes the username.  I have a PIN to stop them watching anything that is over a 12 certificate.

I might have to bring back the white box.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

arrgeebargee wrote:

I am experiencing this without turning off the box

@Anonymous User Your box forgets your login details even when you don't turn it off?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am experiencing this without turning off the box

@Anonymous User Your box forgets your login details even when you don't turn it off?

Yes,  I  switched to HDMI2 on the TV and it had the last film I was watching displayed.  I clicked on Watch Now and it then sent me through three advert pages.  It then had me as disconnected from the internet, so I went and checked the wired connection.  That was all OK and then it asked me to sign it with username and password.

I definitely hadn't turned off because it would not have the last film I watched up at the start.  I do have a HDMI switch as I also have a DVD and a Fire TV stick that share that HDMI, but I doubt that would affect matters.  Other HDMI is used for TiVo box.  Old TV with only two HDMIs.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My white box has been asking for logon details since the last firmware upgrade. So I have to decide do I tell the kids my login details & they have full access (where's the security their sky?) or do they lose access time that I have paid for but for which they cannot access the service