cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Black Smart TV Box not working

Help please ... my Black Smart TV Box is not working.

It will not switch on ... I have already tried the factory re-boot but nothing happens.

When I do the re-boot, there is a blue light on the front of the Black Smart TV Box which flickers on/off ... but this is about as far as it gets.

Any ideas/suggestions please?

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

From the two photos below which NOW box do you have ?

The blue light is usually on the NOW Freeview Smart box (second box on the photo).

A flashing light could be a number of things, such has loss of internet connection, the box is attempting a software update, HDMI loss of signal (try a different cable and port on your television).

When factory resetting the NOW Freeview Smart box (second box from the photo below) flip the box over and hold in the small reset button for around 20 seconds whilst the box and television is switched on.

Should you have the gen 2 black box (first box from the photo), then when the box and television is switched on push & hold in a pin in the small reset hole on the back of the box for around 30 seconds to factory reset it.

Also try fresh new batteries on the remote controller.

If changing the HDMI cable and HDMI port on the television or testing on a different television and a factory reset doesn't do anything from my instructions above then it could be possible that the box is broken and needs replacing.

98e73a3b855697a6612136111777818f-1200-80.jpg

now_tv_smart_box_with_remote.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the second box (the one at the bottom).

I have tried different HDMI ports, but I don't have a spare HDMI cable at the moment.

Everything else in the house has been OK in terms of internet connection (as far as I know).

I have tried the factory re-set, but nothing happens - i just get a flickering blue light.

I have also tried changing the batteries in the remote too!

It does seem as though the box might need replacing - i just know there can sometines be 'silly' solutions.

Thanks for your help anyway.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you factory reset the NOW Freeview Smart box did you hold in the reset button underneath the bottom of the box for around 20 seconds ?

Can you test the box on another television in the home and leave it switched on for around 10 minutes to see if it's attempting a software update.

Shame you haven't got another spare HDMI cable to eliminate the cable out of the equation.

Apart from that i am out of ideas.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes - i held the reset button for a good 20-30 seconds.

I will try connecting to another TV tomorrow - I don't want to wake my daughter tonight.

I will also have a look for a spare HDMI cable (or try and borrow one) tomorrow.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

A bit late ... but thank you again for your help.

I went through everything you suggested ... basically disconnecting everything and setting up again from scratch with new HDMI cables, batteries in the remote, etc ... and it is now working again.

When the box started back up there was a long 'update' of all the apps ... I am not sure if that is standard or not? ... maybe the box was originally trying to update and got 'jammed'?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Glad you got it sorted 👍.