cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Black Box rebooting

Hi

Since last night I have two separate boxes freezing and rebooting. 

This morning they are just stuck on the Now TV splash screen. 

I've tried unplugging and also resetting with a pin but can't even get past this splash screen to do anything else. 

Any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you pushed and kept holding in the pin for about 30 seconds in the small reset hole on the back of the older nowtv box did you leave the box switched on and left your television powered up on the correct HDMI channel ?

Normally when you hold in the pin for around 30 seconds your TV screen whilst holding in the pin will change with the Lets Get Started Message where you need to setup the box again from scratch.

If that doesn't work you could try pressing the Home Button 5 times quickly followed by pressing the FF button 3 times, quickly followed by pressing the RW button 2 times on the remote to access the secret screen to reach the factory reset option.

Though i doubt the box will allow you access to the secret menu whilst the box is in a continuous reboot loop that you seem to be encountering. 

Strange both boxes are encountering a problem at the same time, where i am guessing you have tried rebooting your Router.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you pushed and kept holding in the pin for about 30 seconds in the small reset hole on the back of the older nowtv box did you leave the box switched on and left your television powered up on the correct HDMI channel ?

Normally when you hold in the pin for around 30 seconds your TV screen whilst holding in the pin will change with the Lets Get Started Message where you need to setup the box again from scratch.

If that doesn't work you could try pressing the Home Button 5 times quickly followed by pressing the FF button 3 times, quickly followed by pressing the RW button 2 times on the remote to access the secret screen to reach the factory reset option.

Though i doubt the box will allow you access to the secret menu whilst the box is in a continuous reboot loop that you seem to be encountering. 

Strange both boxes are encountering a problem at the same time, where i am guessing you have tried rebooting your Router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you.

I don't think that I could have been holding in the reset button for long
enough as I've been able to get beyond the splash screen now and there has
obviously been a factory reset of the box.

Hopefully I can use it normally now and see if it all works without
freezing.

Do you know if having a phone charger plugged into the side could be
causing any issues?

Thank you again.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sometimes the NowTV software can be a little buggy and glitchy especially if they have released a new software update on your box.

If you was using the older white nowtv boxes then i would say they are coming towards their technological end with regards to the ability to work and remain stable on the ever more power hungry Apps being pushed out.

Should you be using the mains plug adapter that came with your box and it's plugged into either a mains outlet socket or extension lead socket then you should be ok.

Usually if there is a power related issues the white light on the front of the box will not illuminate which sometimes points to either a loose cable connection or faulty power adapter.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you again.

The box is a black one and is powered via the original plug into the mains.

The only other thing regarding the light is that for the past few weeks the white light has been blinking randomly while watching tv, though until last night it didn't appear to be related to any other issues.

Since reboot, the light appears solid at the moment.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The white flashing light on the front of the box could mean a number of things, such has loss of your network connection, loss of the HDMI signal, in the process of undertaking a software update or the box is in the process of rebooting itself.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hiya can anyone please help? My black box won't let me get passed the Now TV on my screen (not moving but changing colours) & therefore cannot see my movies & Entertainment packages that I'm paid up to the end of January, I'm not very good at technical things so need some help as I have some disabilities. Thanking you.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you say changing colours on screen is that the full screen flashes or there is three spinning coloured circles in the middle of the screen ?

First thing i would try is to temporarily disconnect or turn the power off by unplugging the power adapter on the box for about 30 seconds.

Try that first and post back here if it helped or not.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

I'm the original poster with an update unfortunately.

I did the factory reset and all appeared fine but within a couple of hours the box paused while playing, restarted and froze on the Now TV splash screen where it remains indefinitely.

Plugged in a different black box and did a factory reset. It has done exactly the same thing now.

Two separate boxes, completely factory reset and both have the exact same issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Now TV live chat was a frustrating waste of time.

Thank you.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sounds to me that the NowTV software is corrupted, but i doubt it would happen to both boxes.

See if temporary disconnecting the power to the box firstly gets rid of the continuous NowTV reboot loop screen.

Then try a forced software on the box by following these instructions below, update the software even if you are on the same version number.

This updates your software, fixing any faults in the process.

• Start by pressing your NOW TV remote control buttons in this order:

Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

• Select the Update Software option that appears on the next screen.
  • Press OK, even if you already have the latest version. 

I don't use the older nowtv black box anymore so i can't check my end if i would come across the same issue has you.

Not sure what else to suggest if you are constantly stuck on the NowTV splash screen.