cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shazzam
Scholar

BLACK box WHITE power light never goes off

The title says it all.. since the recent update to the box, the simple BLACK and purple bouncing logo has stopped working and instead theres annoying program ads with a WHITE logo in the top left corner.

The WHITE led power light never seems to go off either.

I have reset the box from scratch in vain. Bouncing logo is set to come on after 1minute and the power save option of 4hrs is on also.

NowTV doesnt have a telephone number you can ring and all community topics on the subject seem to be unanswered by the powers that be.. one community memeber tried to point out it was a programming / update issue. Perhaps those in the programming dept have an issue with the simplicity of the BLACK box and its simple bouncing logo that did the job quite well. Instead i am now faced with glaring irrelavant ads and a WHITE power led light that never goes off. Perhaps this is a subliminal message too? Also quite bad for the energy conscious me...

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @shazzam 

Forgot to mention, use any of these communication methods in the link page below to contact NowTV directly.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

shazzam
Scholar

Thanks ive emailed them too..

shazzam
Scholar

Update 1: i got an email response from NowTV

On 5 Oct 2020 at 23:11, customerservices <[email removed]> wrote:

Thank you for contacting NOW TV.

With regards to your query, please follow the below steps & get back to us with the result.

1. Press a pin in the RESET hole below the black NOW TV Box and hold down for 30 seconds.

2. Reactivate & set up the Box from the beginning & then play the content.

3. Please help us with the serial number of your NOW TV Box. 

Awaiting your response

Thanks,

The NOW TV Team

To which i replied...

Hello...
i have reset the box again as asked and reactivated my account - has made no difference! The BLACK and purple bouncing screensaver isnt working and the box does not power down.. instead i have a WHITE power omnipresent light on the box and nowtv program ads that i do not want!
The black box appears to be heating up alot!

BLACK box serial: 3255.....
System 9.2.3 / build 5136

please help! 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@shazzam to get the box to power down properly there is a work around. When on the home screen, press the back arrow so that the menu appears on the left. Scroll down to app store, press ok, scroll across to NowTv and press enter. When you have the screen showing the information page for NowTV just leave it on screen. Your box will now power down after the amount of time you've preset it to (1 minute, 10 minutes etc).

shazzam
Scholar

Hi,

Thanks, im aware of the work-around but try telling that to a 5 year old! Why fix something that isnt broken? Or if updates are required then listen to the community thats telling you something isn't quite right.

shazzam
Scholar

Update 2: response from NowTV

On 8 Oct 2020 at 14:59, NOW TV Help <[email removed]> wrote:

Hi,

You are through to Rhys with the NOW TV Case and Chat team.

As part of that new update we did update the auto shut down settings, it is very likely in your update yours was switched by default, I am very sorry for the trouble.

To solve this, may I ask that you access your NOW TV Box and head into settings and look for "power" it may be under the "about" section pending on what year your NOW TV box is.

Under power you will find the auto shut down settings, most are under 4 hours with no usage so any left on while you go to work, see to family or over night the NOW TV box will shut down.

If you have any trouble, please let us know and I will escalate this further.

Thanks,
Rhys

The NOW TV Team

My response:

Hello Rhys,

I have found the power settings as described.. the box that says 'turn off box after 4hrs inactive' was already ticked.. i tried unticking the box to see if it made any difference.. no difference EITHER way...

The BLACK box, doesn't go to bouncing logo and POWER down.. instead i still have a WHITE power light that never goes off and annoying adverts. Are these adverts a subliminal way to get me to watch these no-doing-so-well WHITE focused programes?? 

Also '4hrs inactive' does not make any sense what so ever..! Why aren't there any ECO options? The box should power down after 5/10/15mins not 4 HOURS?!

Please escalate this to your tech dept.

regards,

sk

Saint1976
Elite 3

@shazzam I started this thread when the new interface was rolled out

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/New-power-settings-on-updated-app/td-p/537809

It got attention when I posted it but nothing from NowTV since! Like I said in that thread - adverts when my TV is switched off is, well, pointless! As Sky have promised to be carbon neutral by 2030 someone at NowTV should probably have a read of their mission statement regarding customer equipment!

Screenshot_20201009-130755.jpg

shazzam
Scholar

Update 3:

I got an email from the community help -

On 13 Oct 2020 at 01:12, NOW TV Help Forum wrote:

Did you get the answer you needed?

Hello shazzam,

Your topic recently received replies.

Topic: BLACK box WHITE power light never goes off
Date: 05-10-2020 11:59

Did it solve your problem?

Click here to view the replies and mark one as an Accepted Solution.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!

I tried to reply to the email but mail delivery did not like. so i forwarded my relpy to the customer service team, my reply:

Hi NowTV,

Thanks for checking if i got the help i needed.

Sadly the answer is no.. the community are doing their very best to help and keep this issue on going but alas this appears to be a tech upgrade issue which means only one of the geeks working on the UI upgrade to the box will have the answer.

This all appears to have started when you removed the Now TV icon from the app list and merged it into home screen. Thus overriding the power down energy saving bouncing logo and instead replacing it with annoying and inappropriate adverts.

I notice one of the adverts has been replaced by Paw Patrol, thanks. But the ever looming figures of 'scary' Hugh Grant and the 'wicked witch' Nicole Kidman are still staring down at my child. Its a wonder she hasn't had nightmares.. we have only just got our kids back to school after the covid crisis gripping the nation please have some heart.

Might i make a suggestion? Please put the Now TV icon back in the apps list and then depending on what section is clicked on i.e kids/sport/hayu then show appropriate program ads for that section.

Can you revert the homepage back to showing the bouncing logo and allow the BLACK box to rest and not be a slave to the WHITE power light.

regards,
shazzam